Which should I buy? iPad or Mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigaudiofanatic, Mar 8, 2010.

?

Which one should I get?

1. iPad

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Mac Mini

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Just use the MBP

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

I have been looking at the ipad and when it first came out I was not impressed but the more I think about it the more I would probably like it. At the same time I would like to have a mac mini to use to actually give my MBP a break when I get home from school.

Which one should I get? I understand they both are different products but both would be effectively used.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Effectively used for what?

The iPad and the Mac Mini have different usages, one can not replace the other if you need specific tasks to be done.

If it is just for web browsing and watching some video, then ...

4. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Either one I get I will use it for surfing the web. If I get a mac mini I will use it to type documents and other uses. If I get the ipad I would use it to surf the web and check email.

5. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

iPad. You'd be able to do almost the same stuff you'd do on a Mini (other than Flash) except you'd be able to do it from anywhere. Plus you get all the cool games in the app store that you can't play on a Mini. And you can type documents on it if you get a keyboard.

Edit: Scratch that. Just stick with the MBP. No reason to blow $500 if you already have something that works. But if you're really sick of the MBP, go with the iPad, it's also better for reading books than the MBP/Mini.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Keep the money, you have a full & portable computing experience with the MBP.

Why waste money to 'touch' a website that cannot display flash, to not be able to download music/videos outside iTunes, not be able to video-chat, or even multitask.

Yeah, it seems 'hip/cool' to have a iPad if you honestly need to get rid of the money, but a MacBook Pro is a more pratical and useful device in the grand scheme of things.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Why does a MBP need a break? It doesn't get tired.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

huh? the ipad runs maybe 7 applications that the mini runs. but the mini runs about 10 000 aplications that will never run on the ipad. rapidweaver, photoshop, aperture, ms office (full version), databases, games and and and....
    in addition it's likely that the mini runs programs that can do all the functionality that the ipad apps have. the ipad has really only mobility and ease of use over the mini. so you need to find out what you actually want to do. maybe the ipad fit's that need, maybe the mini does. you can't compare them and they are certainly not the same.:rolleyes:

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

If you have a MacBook you don't need an iPad, I think the best usage of the iPad is: iMac + iPad (desktop + light laptop) If you have a Laptop don't downgrade to the iPad, It can be painful to have 2 computers because you have to keep transferring files, Better get a 24" Cinema dispaly or something

10. RudyGrow macrumors regular

I would invest in an iPod touch and an external display...

11. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

He said he'd just use them for surfing the web, e-mailing, and typing documents. All of those can be done on the iPad just as well if not better than the Mac Mini (other than Flash, which is rarely needed anyway). If they both get the job done, why not go with the faster, easier, cheaper, more portable choice? He has a Macbook Pro if he does need to do anything that requires more power.

But either way, he should just stick with the MBP - computers don't get tired, and it does everything he needs. The only reason he should get another computer is if he wants more power (which the Mac Mini isn't going to provide) or if he wants more portability (which the Mac Mini isn't going to provide).

:rolleyes:

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Is it just me, or is the iPad going to be an epic flop? The iPhone was revolutionary in that it was the first mobile communications device that seamlessly integrated a fun, useful business and entertainment platform into a mobile phone like no other smartphone ever did. Then, the iPod Touch comes along as the iPhone without a phone. That also has a place.

But the iPad to me is disappointing. It's nothing more than an oversized (and much more expensive) iPod Touch with optional 3G data capabilities. I don't know why you would even compare this device to an actual Mac that can run thousands of full-blown applications with no restrictions. The iPad is a lifestyle device and while I imagine it will sell just fine to the "hip and fashionable" types, it won't enjoy near the success the iPhone has had because it tries to market itself as a mobile computing platform when it really isn't.

When it comes down to it, the iPad is an eBook on steroids. You need to ask yourself whether you want a computer or flashy multimedia toy. You're comparing apples to oranges.

13. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure if it will be but they just seem interesting. I think I might just get a mac mini. I do enjoy my MBP and love it. But being able to sit at a desk and use a mac that is not a laptop would kind of be nice. At the same time it would be cool to sit at the couch and surf the web without brining out the laptop from its bag. Not saying I am lazy just thinking openly.

14. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Why buy a Mac Mini, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse when you could just buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse and have a more powerful computer and save $600?

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

iPad for push services, GPS, and instant on.

Does anyone know if the ipad can run by itself, or requires syncing/updating/activating to a pc or mac like the iphone and ipod touch?

16. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

Get the ipad you will have more fun with it then with a mac mini. If you want something new get the ipad. The ipad will only get better with time and the mac mini will be the same it is a desktop computer. You will be able to do so much more on it then the mac mini

17. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Have a mouse keyboard monitor and speakers. All I would need is the mini.

18. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Oh. In that case, why blow $600 on a downgrade?

19. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

the ipad is like an Iphone, dock connector, syncs with iTunes

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I am unsure how ANYONE can recommend the iPad as it is not even available to buy yet.

21. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Videos, ads say a lot

22. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You're only lusting to consume, but you don't need either product. You won't have a better life just because you made Steve Jobs and Apple richer and those gadgets won't do anything for you that your expensive MacBook Pro doesn't already do for you - way better than those inferior gadgets ever could. So do the smart thing and save your money.

23. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Seriously. Look at your reasons, you want an iPad so you don't have to lift your laptop out your bag and, uh, I'm not sure why you want a mini - for a change? Or because again you don't want to lift your laptop out its bag to plug it in to the monitor? Having 2 computers when you don't need to is kind of a pain for keeping everything in sync.

Spend the money on a holiday or something.

24. 124151155 macrumors regular

You don't sound like you need either. If you really want to spend $500 on something you'll enjoy, pack your bags and head off somewhere for a weekend with somebody, it's the moments that make people happy not their assets.

25. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

If anything, use your money on a nice external display if the one you have isn't up to snuff. Maybe get a nice bluetooth keyboard/mouse too if you don't have one. Makes it's less of a hassle to hook things up every time you dock your computer.

I honestly don't see the point in either an iPad or a mini if you already have a MBP. Adding another full-fledged computer adds another annoying step when you need to sync them, and why buy an iPad when you have a MBP that can do all that and more (unless you plan on getting a 3G model... in which case I'd just rather have an iphone).