Which should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JPS, Apr 1, 2009.

1. JPS macrumors regular

I currently have a black MacBook that's coming onto 3 years old, and want to replace it this year--probably before the summer. I'm looking at both 13" MacBooks now available.

Apart from the price and the larger hard drive in one, is there a major difference between the two, or would I be better off with one rather than the other? I primarily use my Mac for word-processing and websurfing/emailing.

2. o2xygen macrumors regular

I assume your talking about both the uni body models.

Go with the 2.0 and then use the extra money to buy and install a new hard drive.

3. pr5owner macrumors 65816

if you only word process and surf, any computer can do that now,

why not upgrade your old one and reinstall a fresh copy of osx?

4. macDonalds macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking. For those tasks he can stick with the current Macbook and just max it out if he hasn't already; easily get another 3 years out of it before upgrading.

5. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

My BlackBook is going to my wife, who is graduating from her iBook. I like to get a new machine every three years, so I'm due for one. I have about half my current hard disk filled, so I'm thinking the 2.0 unibody would suit me well. I only use Firewire for backing up via TimeMachine, but I can easily buy another backup disk and use the USB port.

I tend to work on my Mac a solid eight hours a day (I'm a writer), so it gets a lot of use.

I guess the main cosmetic difference is the lighted keyboard. But I don't think it's worth the extra $300.

So I'm guessing you're all suggesting that if I have to get a new machine, it would be the 2.0 unibody.

6. cjscrofani macrumors newbie

I would suggest the Aluminum (Uni-body) 2.0GHz Model. For the tasks you're doing you might want to look into the MacBook Air. I've heard you can get the RevA machines pretty cheap.

7. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

The Air lacks some elements I've really grown used to with my MacBook, and I'm certainly willing to pay for a 2.0 (especially with my wife's education discount, which is more oe less the same as Amazon's and JR's).

So unless you feel I could benefit from the lighted keyboard or what seems to be a marginally faster processor, I'll probably go for the 2.0.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316