Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I currently have a black MacBook that's coming onto 3 years old, and want to replace it this year--probably before the summer. I'm looking at both 13" MacBooks now available.

Apart from the price and the larger hard drive in one, is there a major difference between the two, or would I be better off with one rather than the other? I primarily use my Mac for word-processing and websurfing/emailing.

o2xygen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
I assume your talking about both the uni body models.

Go with the 2.0 and then use the extra money to buy and install a new hard drive.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
I currently have a black MacBook that's coming onto 3 years old, and want to replace it this year--probably before the summer. I'm looking at both 13" MacBooks now available.

Apart from the price and the larger hard drive in one, is there a major difference between the two, or would I be better off with one rather than the other? I primarily use my Mac for word-processing and websurfing/emailing.

if you only word process and surf, any computer can do that now,

why not upgrade your old one and reinstall a fresh copy of osx?

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
if you only word process and surf, any computer can do that now,

why not upgrade your old one and reinstall a fresh copy of osx?

That's what I was thinking. For those tasks he can stick with the current Macbook and just max it out if he hasn't already; easily get another 3 years out of it before upgrading.

JPS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
My BlackBook is going to my wife, who is graduating from her iBook. I like to get a new machine every three years, so I'm due for one. I have about half my current hard disk filled, so I'm thinking the 2.0 unibody would suit me well. I only use Firewire for backing up via TimeMachine, but I can easily buy another backup disk and use the USB port.

I tend to work on my Mac a solid eight hours a day (I'm a writer), so it gets a lot of use.

I guess the main cosmetic difference is the lighted keyboard. But I don't think it's worth the extra $300.

So I'm guessing you're all suggesting that if I have to get a new machine, it would be the 2.0 unibody.

cjscrofani

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Warrenton, Va
I would suggest the Aluminum (Uni-body) 2.0GHz Model. For the tasks you're doing you might want to look into the MacBook Air. I've heard you can get the RevA machines pretty cheap.

JPS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
The Air lacks some elements I've really grown used to with my MacBook, and I'm certainly willing to pay for a 2.0 (especially with my wife's education discount, which is more oe less the same as Amazon's and JR's).

So unless you feel I could benefit from the lighted keyboard or what seems to be a marginally faster processor, I'll probably go for the 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.