Which should I get, Locktopus or Lockdown Pro?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kalirob99, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Seeing as they aren't free I figured I'd ask ahead here. I'm having trouble picking one or the other, I figure some of you might know a little about both, so more I'm looking for performance and stability. Thanks in advanced all.

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I can't speak to either one of those apps, but I use iProtect and love it. It works great (and quick), and I've never had any stability issues. Just thought I'd throw that one in the mix to make your decision harder...lol. :D

3. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Lol thanks, I'll look at it too. So many choices now >_<

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Locktopus has worked for me so far, no bad comments, it just works! Of course, since it it's a ms addon there it becomes it's big flaw to protecting...

5. abemonkey macrumors member

Locktopus support sucks has loopholes

Wish I would've asked this. I tried locktopus to lock safari. Could still get into safari without a password prompt using spotlight's web search feature. Emailed the devs two weeks ago still no response. I emailed the dev for lockdown pro to see if he had covered this loophole. Responded within five minutes and said that he had and to let him know if I happened to find any others and that he would fix it immediately. Also has much more fine-grain control than locktopus in that you can set different passwords for different apps. For instance: a shorter password on less important apps and more secure passwords for banking apps. Lockdown pro wins hands down.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

More on my Locktopus exp.: I didn't know this since I have never locked my safari... I do know two things that might be bad: for example in safari you open a pdf there is an option to see it in ibooks, when you press it, it takes you to the ibooks app even if it's still locked:mad:. The other thing is that you need to install a ms addon if you want to block the photo app, due to the fact that if you go to the camera app and press on the thumbnail for photos it takes you to the photo app even when it's locked:mad:... The addon basically erases the thumbnail from the camera app....

7. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Well, sounds like the obvious choice is Lockdown Pro. Thanks guys. I saw iProtect sends an SMS to a predetermined phone number if the SIM card is swapped, but it's more and I'm not hearing much about it heh.

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, old thread, but just what I was looking for. Any new info on what app is better between these? Any new apps that do the same thing? I was looking to just password protect certain apps, but additional features are always welcome.

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I tried both Lockdown and Locktopus

I like Lockdown a lot more

10. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Anything in particular that you liked better about it?

11. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

Another vote for Lockdown Pro here. I like that I can use a numbers only passcode unlike Locktopus which requires a character pass code making it more cumbersome to enter whenever I need to quickly open an app. Also Lockdown Pro allows for multiple pass codes and you can assign different pass codes for different apps.

12. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I still haven't purchased either yet, but I guess Lockdown Pro is what I should get. I should look for a youtube video for my answer, but reading about Lockdown it sounds like you have to hold the app, wait for it to start wiggling, then cluck on the padlock to unlock it. Is that right? Or do you just tap the app like normal and an unlock dialog box pops up? I would hate to have to go through too many extra steps to unlock a locked app.

13. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

The tap and hold thing you're referring to is just the easier way of setting which apps you'd like to be set as locked/unlocked. Once you have it set though you just simply tap the app and a popup appears prompting you for the passcode.

14. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That is what I figured, and was hoping for, but reading descriptions I wasn't positive. Thank you