Which should I get? MBP or regular Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simbazz, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Simbazz macrumors regular

I've never ever owned any type of Mac computer/laptop. My current laptop, and Acer of some kind, is slowly on its way out.

I'm looking for an Macbook, or the MBP and wondered if you guys could give me a bit of help.

I'm obviously looking for the cheapest solution, but have the money for the MPB if its more suitable.

What I need from the Macbook is as follows;

I'm in my final year at University so there'll be lots and lots of words needing to be written. This would mean I need a laptop that is able to handle quite a bit of button bashing over long periods of hours through a day.

I'm browse the internet pretty much everyday, but its regular surfing, facebook, forums etc.

I'm hardly a gamer, but I do enjoy playing a little bit of Management games, and I suppose I'd like the Sims 3 to work seeing as my GF has it working nicely on here older laptop than my current dying one and I cannot for the life of me get it to run on this!

Could you guys, who know infinitely more about these than me, help me decide which I'd be better off with.

Cheers.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

3. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Either 2010 version (MacBook or MacBook Pro 13" 2.4) will work for you. Very similar computer's, with the obvious difference being one is plastic and one is aluminum.

P.S. Please tell me English is not your first language. Otherwise, this continues to enforce my theory that both U.S. and U.K. educational systems have gone into the *****ter.

4. Simbazz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help,

Bit of both actually, born and raised in America and now live in the UK up in Lancashire. Why, what's wrong?

5. aohus macrumors 68000

What MBP has that MB does not:
    MBP = aluminum build | dents but doesn't scratch | SD card | illuminated backlit keys | firewire port | edge to edge glass

if you're going to be moving around a lot, i would probably suggest the MBP as it seems to have a more durable build. The standard MB tends to go off white in color after use (i'm talking months/maybe years of use).

I would def go MBP. 2.4ghz 4GB ram, 250GB HDD.

6. KirkL macrumors 6502

The difference between the MB and the MBP comes out to $50 if you factor in the Education Discount and the fact that MBP comes with 4 GB of RAM (vs 2 GB). So the price isn't a huge differentiating factor.

You'll probably do fine with a MB though.

7. Simbazz thread starter macrumors regular

Think its more in the UK between the two, something like £100, which I believe is $159.

8. KirkL macrumors 6502

Even with the Education discount (if you have that at all)?

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Without a doubt the MBP. Here is why:

Chances are you will upgrade the MB to 4gb of RAM, either at purchase or in the future. 4gb is pretty much the standard for people these days. This will cost you $100. Now you are only $100 away from the cost of the MBP, but with the MBP you get:

- 4gb of RAM already installed
    - Aluminum body long term durability
    - Backlit keyboard
    - Much nicer screen

Using the student discount will bring you down $100. This puts you at $1,100 for the MBP, the cost of a MB with an extra 2gb of RAM.

You will get a free printer and ipod - sell them both for a total of around $200 and you are now at $900 for a brand new Macbook Pro. Even if you dont sell the ipod and printer you are still playing basically the same price for a much better machine.

Its a no brainer.

10. Simbazz thread starter macrumors regular

If my math is right, the Macbook will be in the region of £730 ($1,163) and the Pro version will be £850 ($1,354) so its a lot of money to waste if I don't need it.

I'm leaning towards the MBP to be honest. I have £1,000 to spend, which is $1,594.

11. Simbazz thread starter macrumors regular

The extra RAM would certainly be very nice! And the backlit keyboard sounds intriguing.

12. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

I completely agree.
    If you're going to spend that much money already for a MB,
    just spend a "little" more for a MBP.
    It's just the more logical path to follow.
    Good Luck :]

13. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Having graduated college nearly 20 years ago, I have seen the educational systems of both the U.S. and U.K. go to sh_t. Most recently, with the advent of twitter, facebook and others, the problem has compounded.

The English language is on its way out and the fact you (in your last year at university) can't see obvious grammatical errors with your post, reinforces my position. I'm not trying to slam you, rather I am saddened at the state of our educational institutions.

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

It's a forum, not a term paper.

15. Simbazz thread starter macrumors regular

I believe it isn't the schooling, rather my poor English. It has never been a strong point of mine, in all fairness, neither has school to be honest.

I know you're not trying to personally attack me, I'm not one of these who'll snap at your words :) Not like a huge part of this forum!

16. aohus macrumors 68000

Having graduated college nearly 3 years ago, I would like to make a comment. First and foremost, you are slamming with him. You're pretty much stating that his grammar is awful, which I personally don't believe is bad at all.

Secondly, you hijacked his thread going grammar nazi on the OP. Congratulations. You're no different from all the other grade school kids on here knocking other posters for their grammatical errors.

Thirdly, you are using the website MacRumors to measure how 'educated' society is as a whole compared to that of a student from 20 years ago as you are suggesting. Does this have anything to do with the OP? Absolutely not.

Lastly, you are insinuating that the growth of the internet has 'compounded the problem.' So what is your suggestion? Have everyone act like a complete luddite? Are you aware that the OP was posting on MacRumors, and wasn't worried that his informal post would be peer reviewed for grammatical errors?

I have a suggestion for you TZRaceR6. Go ahead and write an angry letter to your local congressman/PM and demand an overhaul in the education system. In fact, go ahead and articulate a curriculum yourself and present it to your local government.

Cheers

17. Simbazz thread starter macrumors regular

Lets all be friends :) Maybe his tone was off, but I still stand by my English is horrid!

18. KirkL macrumors 6502

Umm...who cares?