Which should I sell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Asher133, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Asher133 macrumors member

I have two retina MacBook pros should I just keep both or sell one of them

1) (late 2012) Mbpr i5, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD
    (Got this one on Craig's list for $850)

2) (late 2013) Mbpr i7, 16GB ram, 1TB SSD
    (Got this from Unpaid storage unit sell for $50)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's your choice, but the late-2013 is significantly better because:
    1. PCIe SSD
    2. Iris 5100 graphics

So keep the late-2013 and sell the late-2012, or use one as a primary Mac and another as a backup Mac.

You can consider the late-2013 model as a maxed out model that you got for almost free.

You could also sell off the late-2012 and buy me a beer :D

But whatever you do, keep the late-2013.

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Depends on your needs. If you need power + space, keep the 2013. If you're a normal user that spends most of their time browsing and writing emails, keep the 2012 (given that it has AppleCare still on it).

Mind if I ask how you found the unpaid storage unit? Also, did the storage company not see the Macbook to only sell the unit for $50? I'm genuinely curious how this works :D.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you don't have need for both you could sell the 2012, as a 2013 will provide the advantages outlined above in addition to 802.11ac and Thunderbolt 2. That 2013 is fully maxed-out, I feel sorry for the poor fool who left it there.

5. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Ah that's simple man. Sell me the second option for 4 times what you paid for it. Bam...

6. rosario1990 macrumors regular

It's totally your choices buddy which will you sell or keep. But my recommendation sell 2nd.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd keep the i7 and sell the i5, you get more bang for your buck on the computer and the upgraded features will not really drive the price up that high if you tried to sell the i7 model. In fact it may limit the audience in who would be interested in buying it.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Two very different machines.

One is a low end model and the other is a top end model. What do you need?

This will also be reflected in the sale price, do you want more money?

9. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I have trouble with the fantasy storage unit story.

10. Asher133 thread starter macrumors member

It's a really small company so they sell the items in a yard sell type of setting and they knew it was a Macbook pro but since it was password locked with no charger I got it super cheap

----------

I was thinking of selling one so I could get the new broadwell Macbook pro

----------

I didn't buy s storage unit its a very small company they usually just empty out a storage unit and sell each item like its a yard sell then I belive they just donate the unsold items its really small town here the laptop was password locked no charger or anything the lady didn't care to sell it to me for $50 she had no idea what it was

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well I'd keep the fully loaded one because you never get that extra stuff back second hand there are $1000 worth of upgrades there and I'd be surprised if you got more than $200 more than the other one selling it second hand.

As for broadwell I think you are looking at a wait til june so it'd be great to have that fully loaded one until then.

12. Asher133 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I think I migt just keep it kinda cool to have a maxed out pro might be able to trade it for a broadwell in the future would it be a good idea to purchase Apple care for this macbook pro it has a remaing warranty for a little less than 30 days left

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not from these posts....

From your posts it seems that you are planning on selling or trading your machines fairly rapidly so no point at all if you ask me. Of course once you realise that broadwell is going to make literally no difference to the performance of your little macbook you may want to keep that maxed out one then it would be useful to you.

14. Asher133 thread starter macrumors member

Well I honestly wasn't planning to sell rapidly I just purchased the 2012 retina coming from a 2010 then just happen to find a deal on this retina model had no idea what the specs were until I whiped the HD to remove the passcode, if you say broadwell isn't that big of s difference then I'll just keep the maxed macpro was thinking it was a little outdated since it's almost 2 years old

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The only difference between a maxed-out late 2013 and a maxed-out current model is 0.2 GHz. That's it, a difference barely noticeable even in CPU-intensive tasks.

Broadwell is set to bring minor battery life improvements. Not worth it if you already have a Haswell model.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Hmm, keep the better option or keep the worst option. Tough call.

17. creddix11 macrumors newbie

Sorry I'm off topic but I saw that you were trying to sell your rMBP and I was wondering if it was still for sale?

18. StockDC2 macrumors regular

That's awesome. Wish I had your luck :p.

Hi Creddix11, the computer was sold a few days ago :(. Sorry.