which simple video cut software? Not iMovie because lack of FLV support

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Quotenfrau, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

which simple video cut software do you recommend me? Not iMovie because lack of FLV support.

I have basically just cut out a section of a clip. I used MPEG Streamclip but users are complaining about out of sync audio on some Windows based players. And I don't like the user interface of MPEG Streamclip.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

if you are using windows based players what about windows live movie maker?

3. simsaladimbamba

Um die Erfolgs-Quote zu steigern, ist MPEG Streamclip ganz hilfreich.

Anyway, open the .flv file in MPEG Streamclip and use "Export to QuickTime" (CMD+E) to create a .mov file using Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) as Compressor and Uncompressed for Sound, then you can import this file into iMovie and edit it and share it again to YouTube or whatever format you might like.
    MPEG Streamclip also has a BATCH LIST (CMD+B, with which you can transcode as many .flv files as you want before using iMovie.

.flv files are highly compressed, and thus not easily editable, therefore they need to be transcoded.

PS: If you just want to cut something out in MPEG Streamclip, how do you export that resulting clip? Because I just tested it with a rather big .flv file and exported it as MPEG-4 and it was still in synch.

4. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Just convert the FLV file... its a terrible format anyway.

5. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

I don't use Windows. My audience uses it :)

----------

Question: is there no loss in quality if you convert the FLV to MP4? In my understanding there is always a loss in quality transcoding it. Am I wrong?

----------

It means no software can edit FLV directly? I export to MOV. Did you test your export with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/). Many users are complaining about the same.

6. simsaladimbamba

Depending on the settings you choose, the quality degradation will be minimal, especially with already highly compressed video. As Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) is an editing codec, you won't see a difference when transcoding to it.
    When you transcode to whatever format you want again, you have to choose the right settings, MPEG Streamclip can help with that.

I only run Windows as VM, thus I could not really test the export. It just maybe that the player they use is not the best.
    What about VLC Player?

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I have the same problems with some clients.

FLV > Streamclip > ProRes or AIC > h.264 - huge complaints about synch and sloppy playback in Media Player (or however that lalala is called). Turns out their computers don't have enough oomph to run h.264.

8. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Premiere Pro plays back FLV natively. Premiere Pro is like the Swiss Army Knife of format acquisition.

9. simsaladimbamba, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

simsaladimbamba

But while that may be true, though it seems a bit like spamming, including that other thread you just posted in, Premiere Pro is not simple for someone, who comes from iMovie. And it is not cheap.
    What about Premiere Elements, which is cheaper and geared towards consumers (which is not Premiere Pro's audience, at least from the look of it)?
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

PS: I began editing on Premiere, back when it wasn't "Pro" yet, I think it was version 4.x or 5. It was loads better than Ulead Media Studio and I got it to work with a Fast AV Master 2000 and it came with some Pinnacle card, but upon switching to Avid MC, I could never get back into Premiere Pro.
    Anyway, hats off to the Mercury Playback Engine (MPE).

10. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Sorry, didn't mean to spam. In the future, I'll try not to recommend Premiere Pro for hobbyists (folks that use iMovie, etc.), as they likely won't want to spend pro prices for personal projects. However, if you edit FLV often, you may want to go for it as I know of no other NLE that will edit that format.

Premiere Elements will not import FLV. Here are the formats it handles:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS300DE01D-F057-4639-96D1-F99EEE163C24.html

11. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

are you joking? I am far away from a pro and don't have $799.00

12. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

As I said in the last thread: Sorry, didn't mean to spam. In the future, I'll try not to recommend Premiere Pro for hobbyists (folks that use iMovie, etc.), as they likely won't want to spend pro prices for personal projects.

13. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Did I understood right? Adobe the creator of FLV doesn't support FLV in its own consumer products?

And why Premiere Elements is not in App Store, but

[​IMG]

is?

What about Final Cut Pro X from Apple? I heard that is not a pro tool anymore? Is that simple for consumers?

----------

My users are able to play the non cutted version (original file). That means their performance is good enough.

14. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

There isn't a consumer cameras that records FLV, so it's not a priority. FLV is an output codec for web video, so it doesn't make too much sense for consumers to edit this format. I hope that makes sense.

Stay tuned for that one.

I wouldn't say that. It's probably a very good tool for editing most things, I'm sure. Although I'm a former FCP hardcore (I've even worked at Apple on FCP), I've never tried FCPX so I can't really comment.

15. cgbier macrumors 6502a

They were playing the FLV? Even a Pocket calculator could do that ;)
    Or were they playing the h.264? That can be beasty on some PC, especially if they have all the Windows Security Dreck running in the background.

FCP X non-pro? Define pro. I'm using it and loving it, even though I (partially) pay my bills with editing. Nope, doesn't like FLV either.
    But if you are used to iMovie the step up will be very easy.

16. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

If you do try FCP X, just be sure to make note of the hardware requirements, especially the video card requirements. I have a 2008 iMac and it is not on the "approved" list. If your hardware is 3 years old or older, you may have a problem with FCP X.

17. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Thank you all guys. I learned quite a few things about video editing.

I decided to use a classic *NIX tool https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/multimedia/ffmpeg/Portfile

Code:
    ffmpeg -ss 00:05:25.00 -t 60 -i input.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy test.flv
    works very well and fits my needs. Please recommend me a book about video editing (but not for a specific vendor)? I wish to read about basics of codecs, compression and so on.

18. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Check out the recommendations here, scroll down to see the non-vendor specific ones: http://www.artoftheguillotine.com/index.php?category_id=8

19. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You know that there's a GUI available for ffmpeg? Hab aber g'rad den Namen vergessen :eek:

----------

If you stick around with iMovie, I wouldn't get to deep into codecs. There are great explanations on them on the web (Wikipedia as starting point).

Additional to Kevin's list, check Amazon "filmmaking", "Video Production", "Video Produktion" or "Filmen". There's a plethora of books.
    You can find a discussion on books on this forum.