Which Size Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sucramdi, Aug 17, 2013.

1. sucramdi macrumors member

I've seen a few of these threads already, but they're pretty old so I thought I'd start a new one.

I have a brand new 27" iMac and am looking to get a secondary display. My reason to get a second display is that when I'm working on assignments I really like being able to have multiple (2) Pages documents and (~3) Safari windows open at once plus a Twitter client, and while playing games or browsing the Internet I like having either iTunes or Netflix open on a second screen. I've been looking on Kijiji for used cinema displays and the 24" runs about $600 and the 27" for about $800. I have plenty of desk space for an extra monitor, so really I'm trying to decide if a 27" cinema display is worthy he extra $200, what do you guys think?

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Of course it's worth the extra $200. You get more real estate and the will align better and it will look less funny with a big monitor next to a small monitor. Your choice.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've used mismatched monitors on a windows machine it while better than a single display, it's somewhat of a pain. The screens never line up. I would spend the $200 to have the sizes match.

4. grumplekey macrumors newbie

why not just buy a Dell Ultrasharp? They're better than the apple displays anyway..

5. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Not sure about other makes of monitors, but exactly horizontally matching up a 27" iMac with e.g. a TB display, can be solved with monitor mounts such as these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TY174LL/A/bretford-mobilepro-desk-mount-combo?fnode=53 (see option 2), but it isn't cheap.

In addition to the mount, you need two of the Apple VESA Mount Adapter Kits @ $39 a piece: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...ed-cinemaor-applethunderbolt-display?fnode=53, but the end result is quite nice.

Note: On a late 2012 27" iMac, this can only be done with the Vesa adapter factory-installed.

6. blanka macrumors 68000

The 24 is really too old by now, and 600$ for that one is insane. Grab a Dell U2713HM.... 500-600$ new with decent warranty and movie playback refresh rate support.
    Regarding a Cinema Display: almost the same = NOT THE SAME!