Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Hello again,

I was really really leaning toward the D80. It is a solid camera. In every single review I read comparing the two, the D80 won by far.

I just had to bring myself down to earth and tell myself that I am never going to be a pro, so I needed to get the camera that would be the best, without breaking the bank.

You sound like you might be younger than me, so if I were young (without mortgage, and a husband that also likes expensive toys) then I would go for the D80, but you won't be making the wrong decision if you choose the XTi. As I said, both have the power to make you happy.

Your right, I am 22. My problem is not spending the money, since I have few bills, my problem is saving up enough. Once I have saved up enough, i'll go get it and the lenses that I want. I'm leaning toward the D80 out of my initial choices, but don't want to rule out the Canon Xti. I've pretty much scratched the Sony Alpha off my list! Thanks to all for helping me narrow it down a little!!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Why do you say Broadwayphoto.com is a scam? I really would like to know about them before I dump hundreds maybe a thousand dollars on their website.

If it's the same people who offer hard-to-believe prices on name brand equipment, whether photo or computer equipment, they've had hundreds, maybe thousands of complaints.

They offer something at a ridiculously low price that no one else can match. You pay and you can never reach them again.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Broadway photo a rip off

So I found that broadwayphoto.com, aka bwayphoto.com is a total rip off. Even the better business bureau says so!! And resellers.com!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thank you so much for warning me before, I prob would not have researched them if you had not!! And I would have been screwed!!

I've been warning people about them for years. We used to have a thread on such things.

What's the saying? If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I've been warning people about them for years. We used to have a thread on such things.

What's the saying? If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I think we should start another thread like that! I am still researching places to buy and I just to to resellerratings.com or BBB.org. But it would be awesome to just read a thread on here!!

cbtscheid

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Bay Area, CA
How's the Sony DSC-H5?

I am very happy with my DSC-H5, but I think I have maxed out it capabilities.

Silverbird0000, I also have the Sony DSC-H5. You mention that you've maxed out it's capabilities. What kind of shots are you not getting with this camera, what limitations are you finding after working with it? What do you like about the DSC-H5?

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Silverbird0000, I also have the Sony DSC-H5. You mention that you've maxed out it's capabilities. What kind of shots are you not getting with this camera, what limitations are you finding after working with it? What do you like about the DSC-H5?

I feel that it is not fast enough. It was great while I was learning, but now it feels slow. From the time I push the shutter to the time the picture is taken is too long, high ISO's have too much noise, and AF is too slow. I also want the ability to shoot in RAW. I do love the size, the great reach the lens has, and it's awesome abilities at macro. I have a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens for it and it get super close, but it is way to hard to get it to focus, you have to get it perfect for a good picture, so I have a very low percent of "keepers". I feel that it was a great learning camera for me. I feel ready for a DSLR now. Some of the shots that I am not getting are things that move alot indoors, like my dogs, and my friends kid. If you go above ISO 400 the noise gets to bad, and having to slow the shutter speed down while trying to get a pic of a dog is not going to work out. A friend of mine has the Nikon D40 and I had no problem getting pictures inside of my dogs. I have 3 Chihuahua's that never sit still, they are always playing with each other. The pictures turned out great, way better than my H5 could ever do.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
So one more thread with the typical back and forth Canon v.s. Nikon BS. The posts starting off saying you should feel things out, then end with a recommendation for a spicific camera or system are silly and annoying.

Have you tried any of these cameras out in person yet? That point that many others have stated I agree with 100%. You need to do that, and look (and feel) the equipment before you make your decision. Grab the cameras you want to buy, ask the salesperson (if it is a camera shop) to get an assortment of lenses out for you to connect, and try out. After you are done with that, do some research on what lenses would fit your shooting style (Sports, motorsports, landscape, portrait, etc..), and repeat the tests, looking and feeling how the products work for you. The shopping portion of a DSLR camera system is likely the most important piece, and should never be rushed into.

During your research, don't forget to look for reviews on older lenses from whatever system you are looking into. Look at reviews, sample images, and prices, and factor that into your purchase decision. If you can get some affordable good quality or professional used glass for your shooting style for one camera, over an other, that should also be a strong factor in your purchase decision.

I own and operate one brand, but don't look down on the others as I understand that the photographer is the most important piece of the equation. A camera system is an expensive set of tools, go with a set that works well, and lets you take the best pictures you can.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
So one more thread with the typical back and forth Canon v.s. Nikon BS. The posts starting off saying you should feel things out, then end with a recommendation for a spicific camera or system are silly and annoying.

Have you tried any of these cameras out in person yet? That point that many others have stated I agree with 100%. You need to do that, and look (and feel) the equipment before you make your decision. Grab the cameras you want to buy, ask the salesperson (if it is a camera shop) to get an assortment of lenses out for you to connect, and try out. After you are done with that, do some research on what lenses would fit your shooting style (Sports, motorsports, landscape, portrait, etc..), and repeat the tests, looking and feeling how the products work for you. The shopping portion of a DSLR camera system is likely the most important piece, and should never be rushed into.

During your research, don't forget to look for reviews on older lenses from whatever system you are looking into. Look at reviews, sample images, and prices, and factor that into your purchase decision. If you can get some affordable good quality or professional used glass for your shooting style for one camera, over an other, that should also be a strong factor in your purchase decision.

I own and operate one brand, but don't look down on the others as I understand that the photographer is the most important piece of the equation. A camera system is an expensive set of tools, go with a set that works well, and lets you take the best pictures you can.

I have gone and tried them out, twice now. I think the Nikon D40 fits my hand very well. The D80 is to big and heavy, and the Canon XTI felt good, but all the reviews said that the kit lens sucks and that better quality nikon lenses are cheaper than their canon counterparts. I also like the IQ from the nikon's better than from the canon's. I think I am going to get the Nikon D40. I can't justify the extra money for the D40x when there is very few added benefits. Ritz camera has a package with the D40, 18-55 mm lens, 55-200mm lens, camera bag, info DVDs and other goodies for $750, and I talked to a sales person about the 55-200mm lens in the kit. It is not the VR version, but for $50 I can upgrade it to the VR version! I am so happy that I have come to a decision. Now it's just getting the $800 dollars. I am so obsessed with getting this camera that it is all I can think about. All I do at night is sit on my computer and read about it, and look at peoples pics with it!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Why do you say Broadwayphoto.com is a scam? I really would like to know about them before I dump hundreds maybe a thousand dollars on their website.

Think the opposite way:

The list of known-good long-term retailers is pretty short: B&H, Adorama, Calumet, KEH, and a few others- why the heck would you try to go outside of the comfort zone when it's well-known that there are a large number of unethical camera retailers? If a deal is significantly better than B&H or Adorama given their volume, it's most likely a scam.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have gone and tried them out, twice now. I think the Nikon D40 fits my hand very well. The D80 is to big and heavy, and the Canon XTI felt good, but all the reviews said that the kit lens sucks and that better quality nikon lenses are cheaper than their canon counterparts.

I am glad you have had a chance to look at cameras. With regards to Canon lenses being more expensive, I haven't really seen that to be a problem, as you can look to other vendors and usually get close. You also have a plethora of older glass to choose from, and should factor that in too.

In the case of both Canon and Nikon, you can skip the kit lenses and buy body only. I wish I had done that when I went SLR!

I also like the IQ from the nikon's better than from the canon's. I think I am going to get the Nikon D40. I can't justify the extra money for the D40x when there is very few added benefits. Ritz camera has a package with the D40, 18-55 mm lens, 55-200mm lens, camera bag, info DVDs and other goodies for $750, and I talked to a sales person about the 55-200mm lens in the kit. It is not the VR version, but for $50 I can upgrade it to the VR version! I am so happy that I have come to a decision. Now it's just getting the $800 dollars. I am so obsessed with getting this camera that it is all I can think about. All I do at night is sit on my computer and read about it, and look at peoples pics with it!

That sounds really good! I like the way the D40 feels too. It was a well thought out camera, and has some great built in features and awesome menu system. I also like the fact of it being light weight, and composed of good feeling plastics.

My mood was the same as yours when I finally took the plunge. I had a hard time because I shot with both systems (both with a large array of lenses to my disposal) and liked them both equally (still do for the most part!).

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I am glad you have had a chance to look at cameras. With regards to Canon lenses being more expensive, I haven't really seen that to be a problem, as you can look to other vendors and usually get close. You also have a plethora of older glass to choose from, and should factor that in too.

In the case of both Canon and Nikon, you can skip the kit lenses and buy body only. I wish I had done that when I went SLR!

That sounds really good! I like the way the D40 feels too. It was a well thought out camera, and has some great built in features and awesome menu system. I also like the fact of it being light weight, and composed of good feeling plastics.

My mood was the same as yours when I finally took the plunge. I had a hard time because I shot with both systems (both with a large array of lenses to my disposal) and liked them both equally (still do for the most part!).

Do you use a D40?

cbtscheid

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Bay Area, CA
If it's the same people who offer hard-to-believe prices on name brand equipment, whether photo or computer equipment, they've had hundreds, maybe thousands of complaints.

They offer something at a ridiculously low price that no one else can match. You pay and you can never reach them again.

I called Broadway Photo today about a Panasonic Camcorder that they listed on their website as available and could ship to me in 1-2 days. However, even the guy at Panasonic I called today said they are not currently shipping this model, and is only taking preorders because it won't be available until the first part of September. After the guy at Broadway assured me he had it in the store (he even went to check) I mentioned what I was told by the Panasonic Rep to the salesman. He put me on hold and after about 7 minutes, he came back, said he had it in the store, but wouldn't be able to ship any other way than ground. These guys will say ANYTHING for a sell. Anymore, I check the BBB to see if there are any complaints before ordering online.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I called Broadway Photo today about a Panasonic Camcorder that they listed on their website as available and could ship to me in 1-2 days. However, even the guy at Panasonic I called today said they are not currently shipping this model, and is only taking preorders because it won't be available until the first part of September. After the guy at Broadway assured me he had it in the store (he even went to check) I mentioned what I was told by the Panasonic Rep to the salesman. He put me on hold and after about 7 minutes, he came back, said he had it in the store, but wouldn't be able to ship any other way than ground. These guys will say ANYTHING for a sell. Anymore, I check the BBB to see if there are any complaints before ordering online.

Yes, they will and the fact that they were shipping by ground meant that they had more time to spend your money before you called back to complain.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I just can't believe people like broadway photo! They take something we are passionate about and turn it into nothing but trouble. One tries to save some money and ends up getting screwed! Anyway, another question... now that I have decided on the Nikon D40 will the Raynox DCR-250 that I use on my Sony H5 work with the D40? It snaps right on the adapter ring that came with the H5. Does the D40 come with one, or will I need a special one to work with it?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just can't believe people like broadway photo! They take something we are passionate about and turn it into nothing but trouble. One tries to save some money and ends up getting screwed! Anyway, another question... now that I have decided on the Nikon D40 will the Raynox DCR-250 that I use on my Sony H5 work with the D40? It snaps right on the adapter ring that came with the H5. Does the D40 come with one, or will I need a special one to work with it?

Don't buy clip-on ties and don't buy clip-on lenses for SLRs. The images you get from either just won't satisfy.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Don't buy clip-on ties and don't buy clip-on lenses for SLRs. The images you get from either just won't satisfy.

So they would not look as good with the Raynox coming from the D40 as they do with the H5? That sucks that my H5 will take better macro's then the D40 unless I buy expensive lenses. But the Raynox 250 will work with the D40 or no?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Here's one reply in favor of the A100, which I bought a month or so ago.

I can confirm that it does have quite an audible shutter click. I'm kinda fond of it. =)

I can't say I agree with the earlier poster who said the Sony body wasn't well put together. After trying a bunch of models at the camera store, I found the Sony felt nice and solid in my hands, as did the Nikon. I didn't care for the two Canon models I tried so much.

I've been continually impressed with the images I've gotten so far, and my local craigslist has quite a few older Minolta lenses that would fit my A100, at prices that aren't ridiculously jacked up as some of the Nikon and Canon lens are.

Really, I think you could be happy with any one of these cameras, they are all great in their own ways. Just wanted to throw in a few complimentary words for the A100, which doesn't seem to have a big user base yet.

Nice NYTimes review of various models here: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...logy&spon=&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Another great site for reviews: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Here's one reply in favor of the A100, which I bought a month or so ago.

I can confirm that it does have quite an audible shutter click. I'm kinda fond of it. =)

I can't say I agree with the earlier poster who said the Sony body wasn't well put together. After trying a bunch of models at the camera store, I found the Sony felt nice and solid in my hands, as did the Nikon. I didn't care for the two Canon models I tried so much.

I've been continually impressed with the images I've gotten so far, and my local craigslist has quite a few older Minolta lenses that would fit my A100, at prices that aren't ridiculously jacked up as some of the Nikon and Canon lens are.

Really, I think you could be happy with any one of these cameras, they are all great in their own ways. Just wanted to throw in a few complimentary words for the A100, which doesn't seem to have a big user base yet.

Nice NYTimes review of various models here: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...logy&spon=&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Another great site for reviews: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

i had the sony a100 for a year now. i liked the ergonomics most compared to other brands. i like the features, especially the image stabilization. in total a well rounded system for beginners. there are tons of cheap but great used minolta lenses on ebay what makes it also a good starting slr.

the fact that we don't know what the pro systems will look like and the therefore unclear upgrade path is a negative. but if you don't plan on becoming pro soon it's not really a concern. if you go pro the you will buy lots of pro lenses anyway. so the 1000 bucks for the entry system won't matter then if you really choose to switch brands. and who knows, canon might be out of business in 10 years as well. minolta went that way.

in a nutshell: all entry level slr's are good these days. pick for ergonomics and features you like.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
To Apple_iBoy and andiwm2003. I played with the A100 in the store the same time I played with the Nikon D40. I really like both. My problem with the A100 is that the majority of people said don't get it. They said that at the moment there are no upgrade options, and may never be. I don't want to invest in the body, and multiple lenses and then have Sony just stop making SLRs. I do really like that it has IS built in, and I love the autofocus when you put your eye up to it! I've been very happy with my H5 and have had a few Sony camera's before and they all still work great. It's a tough decision. I'll have to look into the A100 a little more. Another bonus is that Sony will let me trade in my H5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.