Which Smart Cover is Better?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ghsNick, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Leather or Poly?

And by better I mean how it holds up over time?
    Which one is easier to clean?

Any advice will help because I don't mind spending more on the black...but if they both deteriote the same I'd rather save some money.

2. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

The way I look at it is, when the poly one gets dirty, it looks dirty.

When the leather one gets dirty, it adds character ;)

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've never owned the poly, but I can say the leather one is high quality. I was debating whether it was worth the extra 30 bucks, but it is. The more you use leather, the better it looks.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I like the poly better. I had the black leather with my iPad 2 and it looked pretty crappy after a while. I haven't had the poly long enough to tell, but it seems like it'll be easier to clean and hold up better over time. It also feels better to me.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I also got a screen protector with my Incipio Smart Feather...is it smart to out it on?

I hear people complain it makes the display look "lower quality" but they also said that about the iPhone and I can't even tell its on the screen.

Yeah I heard the poly was easier to clean and the leather gets messed up...but I can't see a product made of leather looking worse than poly.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

I own both
    -leather wears and is delicate
    - poly is durable and cleans up fine with windex or 409...my grey looks new after a year....every day use
    - colors better with leather, only poly colors I would own are the greys
    - greys with CF strips of red or black look great

7. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

My black leather look pretty beat after a while but so far the poly is looking great, I like it a lot better.

8. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

CF Strips?

Well thanks for the feedback guys I think I'm going to go with the Smart Feather Frost/Grey (Dark or Light) Smart Cover...I don't know which Grey will look better.

Are screen protectors a good idea?

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I ordered leather in tan just to see how nice it'll age. I'm never going to clean or oil it.

10. Dealwagon macrumors newbie

Generic $12 black poly at newegg or eBay. It gets trashy, buy a new one.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Nothing beats black leather IMO. So that is what I went with.

12. sekazi macrumors 6502

I have the black leather one and when I opened it the smell was horrible. It was also kind of shiny. Not to mention did not feel like leather. Apple did not lie. They smothered the thing in ink. So much ink that I probably removed at least half a milliliter of ink from it.

After 3 treatments each a week apart it now looks, smells and feels like leather.

Apple did cover up two flaws in the leather with the ink. Which leads me to believe they inked it like that to cover up any flaws. But the flaws is what gives leather character.

13. glen e macrumors 68030

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Wow, that's really different than my experience with it. Mine looks and feels like leather and has no excess ink or dye on it.

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I like the dark gray poly. I use a screen protector without issue. If it ruins the clarity, you're using the wrong screen protector.

Attached Files:

16. sekazi macrumors 6502

Take a paper towel and soak it in rubbing alcohol and lay it on the smart cover. I guarantee it will be black after awhile. If you rub it it will get even worse.

My treatment to it was thorough scrubbing with rubbing alcohol then leather cleaner then finishing off with leather conditioner.

The first time I did this the entire paper towel ended up black though each of the steps. The last time I did it only some came out with the alcohol. Barely any came off in the cleaner and the conditioner had no black ink.

17. glen e macrumors 68030

This stuff cleans any leather smartcover very well - smear it in with your fingers and buff off - any color cover:

[​IMG]

18. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

Poly cover is better because it is easier to clean and reasonable.

19. Djentleman macrumors 6502

Djentleman

The Poly gets ridiculously dirty, very very quickly. I haves my black one for not even a day and stick it in a brand new foam in lined case with my pad and when I took it out a couple hours later, it was quite dirty with white bits sticking to it and it looked it has scrape marks on it. I actually thought it was a faulty product but I realised after reading that others had the exact same problem. Go with leather man. Pricier but saves you your peace of mind.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I must be missing something. Why do this? Mine doesn't smell and isn't bleeding or rubbing off on anything.

21. glen e macrumors 68030

again - you can't be so absolute - why would poly get dirty? That is your experience and not mine in any way. I use it on an airplane twice a week and EVERY day to make presentations - it looks perfectly clean. Of course, I wipe it down with windex about every other day, just like I do all my travel devices, like my projector, etc...all of 15 secs to do...BTW, poly does not come in black...

22. boersenman macrumors newbie