Which software for editing DSLR video ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by qveda, Jun 19, 2010.

1. qveda macrumors regular

I have a 5D Mk II . The video output is Quicktime MOV format - H.264 video, PCM sound.

Can't afford the full-powered editors like Final Cut Pro, but expect I will need more than iMovie. Maybe Final Cut Express.

Would appreciate info on workflow and editing software. for example: transfer video clips from CF card to Mac.
    convert file to xyz format , using (??).
    Then import clips into FCE ? or other suitable editor

thanks!

2. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

fce

yea definitaly final cut express. get a trial on it. DO NOT get preimere elements like i did before i got final cut studio. it renders video HORIBLY. so go with final cut express.;)

3. TheRhythmRefuge macrumors newbie

Helping With Workflow

Final Cut Express is a great way to go as your editing program.

Final Cut Express doesn't come with Compressor to make the DSLR clips editing friendly.

So it's good to download a separate program to convert the clips to Apple ProRes.

A freeware option is MPEG Streamclip that works well. Another program that does the same thing but has more features to it is Magic Bullet Grinder but that will run you $50.

4. Penny's Geek macrumors member

I would suggest Final Cut Express. I have a Canon TI1 and use FCE to edit the footage. I would also suggest using MPEGStreamclip to compress it with if you plan on uploading it to the web.
    PG

5. aar2697 macrumors member

I highly recommend Final Cut Express. Its just feature packed and once you learn Final Cut its very easy. I use Final Cut Studio and it just blows away Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, etc. The best quality I've ever gotten was from Final Cut. So I would choose Final Cut Express if I were you.

6. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

Some ppl on another thread just dont get that

7. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting the message that FCE would meet my needs. What I'm still not clear about the need to convert files prior to importing clips into FCE.
    ( TheRythmRefuge suggested I use MPEG Streamclip. )

Is it correct that FCE cannot import video clips(H.264 MOV files) directly from my 5D Mk II card as editable video clips ?

Must the workflow be like this: ?
    1) transfer and convert 5D MkII video to my Mac using a program like MPEG Streamclip.
    2) Import converted clips into FCE
    3) Edit in FCE

8. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It's because it doesn't. And trust me, I'm being completely objective on this. I edit for a living and use Final Cut Pro. But the differences between the two programs is negligible. And Premiere is even better in some regards.

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Yes, that's the correct workflow. h264 is not an editor friendly format. It's meant to be used as a delivery format.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

You said that you 'expect' that you need more than iMovie. You may not, of course. You should give iMovie a try first. it may be all you need. But if money is no object...then, sure..go for FCE.

It's just that you seem to have not even tried iMovie...which is a powerful free option that came with your computer. You may not need more than that.