Which software to burn TV show DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wifeofpdx, Feb 10, 2009.

1. wifeofpdx macrumors member

I downloaded a TV series as a package.

It is .AVI, and I had to use Perian to view it in QuitckTime.. no biggie.

However when I went to burn it to a CD I gave BURN a shot. It had to convert the files in order to be able to create a DVD player compatible DVD.

This process was taking forever...... Is this normal with any program?

What about using iDVD or other DVD making software?? Would it be any quicker at converting?

Open to suggestions....

2. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Assuming that you are not violating any copyrights, you'll need to use a program such as VisualHub or Toast to convert the files back to a video_ts folder which you can burn. It's going to have to convert the files no matter what, it'll probably take a while depending on how it's been encoded. Good luck.

3. wifeofpdx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks... so the process that the 'BURN' program uses to burn to DVD format is not Video_TS?

What about iDVD?

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Any video conversion is somewhat slow. The app Burn is built upon many sophisticated libraries, such as ffmpeg, so it can convert files as good as anything else. iDVD cannot convert video formats and cannot burn divx, AFAIK, so its is not your solution. If your DVD player is newer it may be able to play divx so burn the video in divx and see if it works. It will most likely look better in divx anyway as some quality is usually lost during conversion.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iDVD allows you to take virtually any content for which you have a QuickTime codec and build a playable DVD out of it.

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Thanks I did not know that.

Do you need QuickTime Pro for iDVD to encode to other formats? Many codecs only decode and can not encode.

Edit: I opened iDVD and selected new project and it would not work with divx. I tried Magic iDVD and it would only show files that were in folders but seemed to recognize divx if they were in a folder (ie there own designated folder not the "Movies" folder); any solutions?

7. wifeofpdx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

If all else fails I just got toast 10, but I like the simpler things in live :D

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What the heck is Magic iDVD? You need a DivX-compatible codec :rolleyes: Perian comes highly recommended.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

When you open iDvd it gives you 4 options:
    1) open new project
    2) open existing project
    3) magic iDVD
    4) onestep iDVD

I have perian and none of the options will make a working DVD. Perians divx component is not the best for encoding so I most likely need the newest official divx codec. Do you have the codecs installed in your system or home library folder; or, in your system or home component folder? Does it burn divx as is or converts it?

Edit: I solved the issue and got it to work. It should be noted that it takes a long freaking time to render the menus and convert the video; third party apps are much faster, albeit they do not make as nice a product.