Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dee4088

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to design an app on the lines of http://www.piikeastreet.com/ interactive abc. While the wireframe for my app is ready, I am on the search for a good graphic artist who understands design for mobile devices. Wanted to know what software should this kind of a graphic I intensive and interactive app be designed on? Should it be illustrator/photoshop or something like flash.

Also once the graphics are ready which kind of app should I build.. A native one or one on html5 ( as I may want to sell on other platforms as well). does aplenty take kindly to apps that are not developed on it's native iOS?

If these questions should be posted on another forum please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
Dee

Last edited:

Pgohlke

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Centerville, Ohio
Well first of all you could do HTML 5, but then it would have to be browser based with a paywall. If you want to make an apple for iPhone or iPad you have to code in objective c and then get a developer account from apple for $99 so you can upload the app to the app store. Most likely you would want to use illustrator because iPads, iPhone 4s, and other iPhones have different resolutions. The app that you linked to looks like they did it in illustrator and then animated it when they made the app by displaying one picture then the other.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
The ipad and iphone have terrible vector performance... they are much more efficient at pushing around bitmaps... so, photoshop is fine for developing assets... if you work in illustrator you will wind up rasterizing all of your artwork anyway.

If you are going the HTML5 route, take a look at PhoneGap. Its an open source app wrapper that will allow you to deploy your app to multiple platforms.

Dee4088

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
The ipad and iphone have terrible vector performance... they are much more efficient at pushing around bitmaps... so, photoshop is fine for developing assets... if you work in illustrator you will wind up rasterizing all of your artwork anyway.

Really? For what I've been reading online, vector images are the best for iphone, ipad as you can change the sizes easily.. I didn't know you have to change them to bitmaps... but thanks -- I'll find out more about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.