Which Sony 40" LCD TV (USA)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PaulMoore, Sep 27, 2008.

1. PaulMoore macrumors regular

I have just started looking for a new TV- main reason I want one is a bigger screen and the potential for HD content (though I don't own a Blu-ray player yet and I don't intend to pay for HD cable). I have narrowed my choices down to Sony- since it's a brand I trust and I work in TV and their professional gear is always good (and relatives in the UK have Sony flatscreens and say they're great).

Though they seem to have about half a dozen different types- the main difference I can see being price. I only want to spend about $1000/$1200 and Consumer Reports seems to like the Bravia KDL-40V4100...
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-K...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222518358&sr=8-1

Does anyone here have this set and have any views on it- or did anyone get it and hate it or even choose another one instead...?

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

funny, i looked at a Sony bravia 40" today at best buy. it's on sale for 1349.-. it's the KDL-40V4100

i liked the picture quality but there are a lot of TV's with good picture out there.

i would like to know how sony's are in other features:

is the sound good?
    do the switch fast between channels?
    do they have picture in picture?
    do they work with my mac (a powerbook and soon a MBP)?
    how long from switch till they are ready?
    user friendly remote?
    userf friendly set up?

3. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I researched LCD TVs a while back, too. I narrowed my choice of brands to Sharp, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Philips. Sharp and Panasonic are said to produce some of the best TVs on the market. Sony and Philips are highly regarded brands and make really good sets, too. But ultimately I bought a Samsung TV. It had the best blacks, easily. The colours were the brightest, too. The image was really good. That, combined with the relatively low prices of the Samsung TVs, won me over. I own the Samsung LE40M87D, and it's awesome. It has three HDMI 1.3 ports that support 24Hz for all your Blu-ray goodness. Don't have a Blu-ray player myself (yet), so I don't know how that looks on my TV, but still.

Having said that, I wouldn't go for a Sony myself. They're overpriced for what you get. Their screens are made by Samsung, only the engine (Bravia) is different. And I even like the Samsung housings better. Give me shiny black over matte grey anytime.

However, whatever TV you choose, you'll love the Full HD screen. They're gorgeous! Don't buy LCD TVs for the sound, though. Especially with the new trend of making them ever thinner. Trust me when I state that your old average CRT TV will definitely have better sound than any LCD TV. There's just too little room to fit any decently sized speakers in there. You'll need to run the sound through a dedicated AVR for sure. I have mine hooked to a Harman Kardon AVR, and that way the sound is perfect. For occasional news watching, the internal speakers are fine, but you won't want to watch a film without an AVR.

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I have the Sony Bravia. It is a great TV. I am no flat panel expert, but a friend of mine used to work in the business selling the coatings for the panels. We are also fortunate enough to be in the cradle of panel research. Yes as strange as it sounds Kent State University in Kent Ohio (between Cleveland and Akron) is home to Kent Displays. Anyway, the guy there that my co-worker knows told him (sorry for the Ferris Beuler reference) that the Sharp was one of the best panels out there. There are only a small handful of panel manufacturers. Everybody buys these from these manufacturers. However, there are certainly different levels of quality even within on panel manufacturer. For example, Sony has 3 (it may be 4 now) Bravia levels. There was the XBR, V, and S series. I think there may be a K now.

In the case of the Sony, I would go with the highest you can afford. Also, with all of the components out there that are HDMI, it is important to get a TV with as many inputs as you can find. Earlier models only had 1 HDMI input. Many now have 3.

Overall, I would stick with Sony or Sharp. Both are consistently reviewed highly.

Good luck!

5. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I had a V-series which I bought for 1400 when it first came out earlier this year. Good t.v. with a good name behind it, but took it back and got a Samsung 550 for 350 less, which I promptly put towards a PS3. I honestly think they are both equal in terms of PQ and overall quality. Buy from Amazon, free shipping and no tax, but look in the stores to actually see the pictures beforehand.