Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I am in the market for a new camcorder and can't decide between the Sony HDR-FX1, Sony DCR-PC1000 or the Sony HDR-HC1. I like all of them but don't know which on I should get. I like the FX1 and the HC1 because they are HD.

Are the HD camcorders worth the extra money?

Mike

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
If you have an HD tv and such, then it is definitely worth getting either of the HD cameras. Once they update the computers to burn BlueRay Discs, then it will be even more woth it. It's always better to buy the best you can to stay more "future Proof".

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it to buy the Sony HDR-FX1 over the Sony HDR-HC1? The HC1 is a lot smaller but I really like the FX1, which is a lot bigger and $1,400 more...Is it really worth it?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
ipacmm said:
Ok, Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it to buy the Sony HDR-FX1 over the Sony HDR-HC1? The HC1 is a lot smaller but I really like the FX1, which is a lot bigger and $1,400 more...Is it really worth it?

It's only worth it if you need all the extras you get w/the FX1. What are you going to be using the camera for?

Lethal

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
LethalWolfe said:
It's only worth it if you need all the extras you get w/the FX1. What are you going to be using the camera for?

Lethal

I don't know what I am going to be using the camera for yet, my guess will be just different movies that I will make...haven't really thought about it yet. What I really like about the FX1 is that it has a handle bar across the top which lets me hold it from the top. Compared to the HC1 where you can only hold it from the side.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
The HC1 is my dream camera right now. Really is an amazing piece of technology that they can get all that stuff into such a relatively small enclosure. You can add on lights and microphones if you want so it can be pretty similar to the FX1 in performance. I have also find it online for $1500 at some places, just need to shop around a bit.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
wwooden said:
The HC1 is my dream camera right now. Really is an amazing piece of technology that they can get all that stuff into such a relatively small enclosure. You can add on lights and microphones if you want so it can be pretty similar to the FX1 in performance. I have also find it online for $1500 at some places, just need to shop around a bit.

Ok, thanks. I am going to NYC next week and am going to check out B&H Photo and Video store and see what they can work out. Do you know if I add on the lights and microphones, does it come with the handle bar accross the camera?

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I would say wait on the HD cause in a few years they will get much better and cheaper as HD technology progress'...I would sugest a Pro Quality DV cam such as the sony PD170

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for your input. I just got back from NYC and checked out the camcorders and I like the HC1 but have decided (due to the new Power Mac's hopefully coming out tomorrow) that I am going to wait for the next version of the HD camcorders.

picodave

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2005
Minnesota
Hdr-fx1

Be careful, my HDR-FX1 worked great the 1st 3 times I made movies, then last night it quit working and I can't figure out why. I can import non-HD movies to Imovie with this camera and my other DV camera, I can control the camera through Imovie. I've tried the fixes for this problem, (it seems this is happening on Imovie HD with this and other camera), but nothing so far has worked. It seems to be a problem that has been around for a long time, but Apple's support is no help. I do not consider the HDR-FX1 to be fully supported by Imovie.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
You might also want to look at the HVR-Z1U. It's the ugpraded version of the FX1, it costs more, but it has XLR input so you don't have to use a DAT to record audio. Some people prefer not record audio directly into the camera, but it's a great feature to have if you don't have a sound technician to help you out.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Hvr-a1u

I have a HDR-HC1 and love it. But if you want to take a look at the HVR-A1U it's the same camera except with better options.

Take a look at some discussions here: http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/

Definitely go with HD if you can afford it because that is where everything is headed.

Best of luck,

Nuc

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
My friends father bought them the Z1U and that camera is downright amazing. The sad thing is they really dont know how to use it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Unless you are a gadget freak w/money to burn or a have a paying client wanting HD I don't see a reason to buy an HD camera right now.

Lethal

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
If you don't decide to wait, check out the VX2000 and as already mentioned, the PD170, both excellent cameras...

dustin

mpstrex

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
USA
I happen to know a lot about HDV (I moderate at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf and have written for http://www.hdvinfo.net) and I would say, go HDV. We'll all be on HD before you know it. The Playstation 3 will be Blu-Ray and eventually Microsoft will shove an HD DVD player in the Xbox 360.

As for HC1 vs A1...by the time you outfit the HC1 with accessories that are standard on the A1, you'll have hit the cost of the A1. And with the pro A1, you get Sony professional support, not consumer support (like the HC1 and FX1).

Keep in mind that the HC1/A1 are one cmos chip cameras that are good, but the FX1/Z1 are 3 1/3 inch ccd chips. For more, visit: http://www.vasst.com and click on the HDV portal.

Final Cut Pro 5 is a native HDV editor and MUCH better than the others, trust me. No Direct Intermediate needed! (And the Apple Intermediate Codec is garbage still--darkens the video.)

Hope this helps,

mpstrex

ps-I've directed a film shot on the FX1 and recently produced a short shot on the Z1. The Z1 is my favorite HDV camera right now, until I can use the Canon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.