Which source control is better for Xcode 4, git or subversion?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mikezang, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

I was used subversion for Xcode 3, but I found there is a checkbox to use local git in Xcode 4 when create a new project, I want to know which one is better under Xcode 4?

Please give me your suggestion.

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I can't tell you which is better since I'm only using subversion with Xcode 4. There are definitely some problems with the subversion support in Xcode 4, more than in Xcode 3. For simple use it mostly works fine. Deleting a file from the repository using Xcode or tagging the repository can cause Xcode to get confused or to crash. But I am using it and getting work done.

Dunno if git integration is better.

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Terminal SVN control is the best tbh, it's build in. And it works without any errors, and quite fast ^_-

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Yes, I tag from the command line and when I have to fix problems that Xcode can't I do it from the command line. However the file compare view in Xcode is miles better than anything you get from the command line. Also the basics of telling what files have changed and doing commits works well from Xcode.

5. fabriciom macrumors 6502

subversion is the simplest and probably better for smaller projects. Git is more complex and used for the linux kernel.

6. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used good in Xcode3, but I am not sure to use in Xcode4, can you tell me where I can find a simple guide for using subversion in Xcode4?