Which speakers for new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KentuckyApple, Jul 20, 2017.

1. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

I am very happy with my new 27-inch iMac. However, the built-in speakers are not as good as my old Late 2009 iMac. Does anyone have any recommendations for small desktop speakers that will sit below the iMac? I want something that looks decent and is unobtrusive.

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

No specific brand in mind, (I own a set of Bose that are really nice and sit to each side), but you might try heading to one of your local Fry's and taking a look at some desktop sound bars for PC's. The sound out of them is pretty darned good, but you really have to choose by listening or getting hands on with them. If you do go to Fry's, or just want to look at their site online to see if they have a sound bar for you, sign up for their daily deals and promo codes for additional savings on sale items.

3. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Super happy with my harman kardon® SoundSticks III.

5. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

6. jerwin macrumors 65816

Is that an absolute requirement?

7. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I missed that. Probably none worth having.

8. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

I have the Companion 20 speakers and have been very happy with them.

9. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Great speakers. I had those prior to the Companion 3 then 5. It's worth it to try and save up for the series with the Floor Acoustic Unit. The low frequencies are sooo clean. :apple:

10. killhippie macrumors member

killhippie

Still using a very old set of Logitech Z-2300 speakers they were THX certified and have a great sound and a glorious bass drive, sadly they stopped making them many years back (2006) they beat the Harmon Kardon sound sticks back then in reviews too.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Designed by iMac designer, Jony Ive and on permanent display at the Museum of Modern Art. I love mine too.

While they don't sit under a Mac, I think they look great on either side of one. More importantly they sound great too.

12. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Logitech is really good for the price you pay. I have the X-230 that include a subwoofer connected to my 2011 iMac. Don't know how old those are. Found them unused under my brother's desk in his old room at my parent's house. But there a newer similar versions.

There had been also very good non expensive speakers from Creative, what I used for more than 10 years and purchased maybe 15 or even more years ago.
    I would still use those, but they somehow disappeared after moving a few times. Don't know if Creative (Labs) is still the same company as back then. I mainly remember them for making Sound Blaster cards in the 90s.

13. KentuckyApple thread starter macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Not an absolute requirement, but I have limited desk space. Hard drives on one side of the iMac and pens, pencils, paper on the other. So, I don't have much room for speakers / wires. Below the screen was the obvious place.

14. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Man I thought I was the only one. My z2300s still rock and the subwoofer is awesome. Hard to believe a 13ish year old piece of hardware still does that.

15. jerwin macrumors 65816

not really that surprising. Speakers are fairly low tech devices, at heart. If the build quality was there in the beginning, well...

16. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Headphones?

17. jerwin, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

jerwin macrumors 65816

Have you considered bookshelf speakers mounted on a wall? (use bluetooth to connect to mac, if wires are a problem)

18. Torgo81 macrumors newbie

Torgo81

19. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

20. starwager19 macrumors newbie

starwager19

I also have limited space, so I went with the Audioengine A2+, as well as a separate subwoofer. The A2s sound good but don't have much bass - difficult to overcome in the size. The combo with the sub (which obviously doesn't take up any desk space) is great for me. Light years better than the built in speakers.

21. JoeSixPack macrumors member

JoeSixPack

I love the Companion 5s, but they may not fit the request for under the screen and unobtrusive. However, being able to put the sub-woofer on the floor is very convenient.

22. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Yikes!!! I missed that about 'Under the iMac.' I'd have to go with a sound bar then. I have no experience with sound bars. :eek: