Which speakers to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by macuser154, Jan 17, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

First of all I don't know if I have put this thread in the right forum.

I am trying to decide between the Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks II, the Bose Companion 2 and the Bose Companion 3. I enjoy quality audio. And I am wondering which of those three is the best. Is the only difference between the Companion 2s and the 3s the sub? How much of a difference does it make?

If possible could anyone suggest good speakers within the price range of the three.

Thanks in advance!

2. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I don't know those other ones, but depending on your budget, KRK
    Rokit's are sick nasty!

It really depends on what your'e using them for, The rokits are studio monitors, for music production. But they have awesome range, and power. They can cost around $200-$400, I Think.

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

At that price though, they're not serious monitors by any means. They're speakers trying to deliver accurate sound relative to other speakers in that price range, but no studio would actually use them.

For what they are, they're great, and probably one of the best sounding things in terms of clarity and staying true to the original sound source in that price range.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

What's your budget.

And yes, stay away from Bose. They're better than JBL, but you can still do much better for the price.

6. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I don't think Bose are that bad. Not the best either perhaps. But certainly not deserving of all the bad press from internet armchair reviewers that have usually never even heard the things. Preferring to follow sheep instead.

At the end of the day, speakers are one of the most subjective things you can buy. Listen to a few, and go with what you like, whether it happens to be what someone else likes or not. Its your opinion on them that matters :)

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

What an easy decision. If it'd Bose vs. "anything else", just go with the "anything else". Simple.

For studio monitors you want "flat" and Bose isn't that. Bose sounds the way it does because they use tricks with the frequency response curve. It's bumpy and has highs in spots people, at least consumer types like.

8. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I have heard them, IMO, they are that bad. The construction techniques speak for themselves.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you are looking for quality at a good price, I've been impressed by the KRK line. They've been on sale lately at a few places. I first saw/heard them at the local "Guitar Center". They seemed good so I looked around more. They are on my shopping list now. KRK's larger speakers might be out of your price range but they make some smaller models.

Here are some links

http://www.krksys.com/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=krk+monitors&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0