Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgadher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Wow thanks everyone for your contributions it's a lot of info to take in. Will defo take into account when I go to the us to buy it.

Just a couple of questions:

1- where in la or Vegas should I buy it from? Eg apple store, b&h vision etc

2- the base model is sufficient or spend a bit more to make sure it lasts a few years.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

S

floobie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Canada
Just throwing this out there: Why not a Macbook Air? A 15" Pro seems rather excessive for what you're going to be using it for. Unless of course that bigger screen is really important to you.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
I use my ipad2 a lot of the time but need a macbook pro for general websurfing, email, downloading and viewing photos, videos and songs[, ...] converting mp4s and avi files

To be honest, you're overthinking. I just finally upgraded my 2008 MacBook, and it did everything you have listed. It worked well, even. (I'm upgrading for GarageBand and some other processing-intensive applications that sound outside your scope of use.)

The base 15" is really more than you need. Hell, even a MacBook AIR is more than you need. Don't worry about future-proofing at this point in time. Anything that is user-upgradeable like the HDD or RAM can be worried about later, if at all.

My suggestion - get the Air if you like the portability and don't need the larger HDD. If you'd rather have the disc space and a larger screen, spring for a refurbished Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.