Which SSD did you go for & are you happy with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adnoh, Dec 18, 2010.

?

Which brand of SSD did you go for?

1. Corsair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Intel

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Crucial

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. OCZ

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  5. Other

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. adnoh, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Im thinking about getting a SSD for my 2010 MB 2.4 Ghz.

Which SSD do you have and do you have any problems with it? Please comment in particular if you have the OCZ Vertex 2E as this is at the top of my list but has a lot of problems (see OCZ ssd mac forum here)

Edit: owc not on the list as they are not available in the uk. Sorry for being a noob but how do I add another option to the poll or can the mods do this?

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Wow.. how is OWC Mercury Pro not on this list!?!?!

I'm shocked.

I have the OWC 120GB Mercury Pro (I was going to get the OCZ but a quick scan thru there forums shows nothing but people who are bitter for the most part that I saw)... I LOVE my OWC so far... no degradation and blazing fast!

Do please note that ANY sandforce controlled SSD is having issues currently with hibernation and OSX. A fix is on it's way. Don't let that sway your pick. Both OWC and OCZ are sandforce controlled.

3. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I have the 60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe and for the most part love it. I do wish it was larger however. Might upgrade it when NewEgg has the 120GB models in stock again.

It's super fast and has the Sandforce 1200 controller.

4. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Intel X-25M 80GB. It's been installed a few weeks and so far I've had no problems.

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would say wait before you get an SSD. I think I will be getting one next year, it is between the Vertex 2 and the Intel G3. I am more interested in the G3 tough as it could have 300GB storage AND be cheaper then the Vertex with the same performance. Plus Intel SSD's have a VERY good reputation in Macs on this forum.
    The Vertex comes in 256gb flavour and is still expensive.

6. bfc macrumors member

I just installed a 256 GB OCZ Vertex 2E into my 2007 MacBook Pro. So far I've had no issues at all.

7. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

OCZ Vertex 2 installed in my MBP about 6 months back...no problems yet.

8. miata macrumors 6502

Happy so far with OWC Pro 120 SSD. No problems if I set sleep to never.

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Went with the Toshiba drive from Apple. At the time, with my discounting, it was the best deal on a 256GB drive. Very happy with performance and battery life of the machine as a result. Worth it.

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

Intel X25-M G2 160 GB in mine. Have had zero problems with it and it has been a great upgrade for my 13" MBP. Could've gone with the 80 GB though because I've never managed to fill this one.

Now I recommend waiting for the next gen Intels. More space and even faster for the same money.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Adding a SSD is like when Vin Diesel hits the NOS button in the movie with Paul Walker and Shiloh Buff.

One minute you are going, next minute the road markings turns to bars, life slows down ten fold and occurs in slow motion, and then Harrison Ford is next you screaming TERMINAL VELOCITY (or in some cases 'get off my plane'). You get my imagery.

You will wonder how you lived without one. Buy a SSD now. It's worth the money and you will appreciate it every day. I know a lot of people with the Intel 25 and not one has had an issue; it is a solid and proven design, but compared to the offerings by Crucial, Vertex, OWC and a few others, it is the same (or more) in price but slightly dated hence Intel is introducing a replacement for it.

I have the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 120 (technically it is 128gb but there are 8gb of crap that the drive uses to make it happy and long lasting). I love everything about it and I would have bought it if it was priced twice as much as it is. I was going to go with Intel until I saw a benchmark comparison, pro reviews, and many user ratings, and then went with the OWC due to a pretty significant differences and supposedly better block management and wear leveling (although I don't know enough about how the management works to say if it is true or not but I'll take OWC's advice as they are good folks). Either way, the OWC has the best user reviews of any current SSD. With that said, OWC is very specialized and the people purchasing OWC products are computer people where as you can get other certain SSD's in stores. It could be argued that the other SSD's do not have as good of user reviews because most people are idiots. Also, the support for installing OWC products is second to none meaning you have fewer people doing the 'pissed off user reviews' because of they get Ikea-like directions. None-the-less the Mercury Extreme Pro is very, very nice and you can't go wrong. Hell, it's EXTREME; and who doesn't like extreme?

12. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

13. zodqyv macrumors regular

I have the same SSD and love it dearly.

I am planning to put an X25-M G3 600 GB in a Sandy Bridge based MacBook Pro as soon as both are available in 2011. Assuming Apple does not have an integrated SSD solution like in the new MacBook Air, that is.

And if Apple goes the Air-like integrated SSD solution plus an option for a second hard drive like many have suggested? Then I will buy the cheapest option, pull the HDD, and install the third generation Intel SSD in it's place.

14. CW Jones macrumors 6502

15. Ifti macrumors 68000

16. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Intel SSDs are solid. I didn't feel like shopping around too much and NOONE had anything bad to say about Intel drives.

I know they have slower WRITE speeds than Sandforce drives, for example, but normal use is MUCH more READING than WRITING so its not noticeable for my daily activities. If you have a Write-intensive work load, consider a Sandforce drive.