Which ssd do I have on my fusion drive?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Thunderboltedge, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I have a mac mini 2014 and i was wondering if there is a way to know the ssd with which the fusion is made.

Are there more options like for macbook pro or it is always the same one (toshiba, samsung or other?)
    Is there an app to check the internal components or information mac would be able to tell me ? For what i tried even googling it i could not find a trust source.

Any help on this?

2. matttl macrumors newbie

ifixit did a teardown of the base mac mini late 2014 model, and the ssd was a samsung.

3. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

And is there the possibility it could be another brand? on macbook for instance below 512 I know it could be more than a type.

4. matttl macrumors newbie

apple is pretty consistent with each gen, the spindle drives are HSGT, samsung for the SSD. if you wanna know for sure, go to launcher/other/ system information, than snoop around under SATA/SATA Express, PCI and Storage, and that may lead to the answer. you may have to search on the web for the model or revision # to know for sure.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

128GB and 256GB variants are a lottery between Toshiba, SanDisk and Samsung (increasing order of performance).

512GB and 1TB variants are Samsung only.

----------

Not really for 128GB and 256GB SSDs, Apple uses Toshiba, SanDisk and Samsung as suppliers for these capacities

512GB and larger are Samsung only.

6. matttl macrumors newbie

the op said he has a fusion drive. i was under the impression that fusion drives used only 128gb ssd. why are you talking about other sizes?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The OP asked about the vendors used to manufacture them.

8. matttl, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015

matttl macrumors newbie

no he didnt, he said he has a fusion drive and that he wanted to know who made the ssd.

9. yjchua95, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015

yjchua95 macrumors 604

I already clearly stated the vendors used in 128GB as well, and threw in other capacities as a comparison.

I already answered who made the SSDs.

10. magbarn macrumors 68000

Couldn't you go on 'About this Mac' , go and click 'System Report' and then go to the Sata express section and see who made the SSD portion of the fusion drive? If it says SM128 as the model type, then it's Samsung. SD128=Sandisk TS128=Toshiba

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you want to know for sure, go to System Information > "SATA/SATA Express" and click on "Apple SSD Controller". Under "Model", if it starts with "SM" it's a Samsung, "SD" and it's a SanDisk, "TS" and it's a Toshiba. It will also have the capacity there, but if it's a Fusion drive it will be a 128 GB.

12. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Thanks, i tried but I didn't know how to infer the model from that code.

It seems I won the lottery, as the string says : SM0128F.:D

Thanks for the tip!