Which SSD for 2008 MP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by josheeee, Jun 30, 2011.

1. josheeee macrumors newbie

I am wanting to buy a 60-120~gb ssd for my 2008 mac pro. Which one is osxLion safe and runs well?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Any name-brand SSD should work well enough, but you're going to want one with good automatic garbage collection so you don't need to rely on TRIM support in the OS (which at this point can't be enabled without a hack for anything other than Apple-branded SSDs) to deal with deleted files.

Which is to say that your safest bet, if you don't mind a modest additional cost and live in the US, is one of the lines offered by OWC (macsales.com); according to benchmarks by StorageReview.com they're comparable in speed to the fastest consumer SSDs available, they're priced competitively, they use high-quality parts and good Sandforce controllers, and they're designed from the ground up for the MacOS, so they have no need for TRIM support, since they have VERY good Mac-specific garbage collection.

Due to the age of your MP, you'll be fine with one of their older 3G models, since your SATA bus is only 3G (unless you want to also buy a 6Gbit SATA controller card as well). Although, the recently announced budget 6G drives aren't much more expensive than the 3G models, and you will probably get a speed boost in anything other than large-file contiguous transfers.

I opted for one of their higher-end 6G SSDs for my 2011 MBP (I'd have gotten the cheaper one, but they weren't available at the time).