Which SSD for 2010 MPB (Sata 2)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kramerica2, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kramerica2 macrumors regular

Looking for a rather large (at least 240GB) and reliable SSD.
    High performance is my first priority, but I'm not sure if I'll gain anything by buying the fastest drives, since I'm limited to 3Gbps anyway.

So, I guess I'm looking for the fastest drive for my machine, without paying more for performance I won't be able to enjoy. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

2. kramerica2 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it better than OWC mercury extreme 3G or Crucial M4?

3. LCTN macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2010 13" MBP and use a Crucial M4 in it. So far so good, I would definitely recommend it.

4. kramerica2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I don't know if it's actually any better, but it's one of the only reliable discs that are reasonably priced in my country, so my decision was easier: Ordered the 256GB M4.
    Hopefully installation would be smooth..

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Crucial M4 is awesome - you can also upgrade the firmware with a Mac. That is a bonus some SSD don't have.

6. outz macrumors 6502

Staples.com had a pretty good deal today on the crucial m4 128GB
    Get them to price match to amazons 150 and then use a $30 off coupon. Less than $1 a GB. I picked up one, hope it gets here soon.

7. LCTN macrumors newbie

Exactly, the other SSD I looked into was the Samsung 830 in which you need Windows to update the firmware.

I've already updated my M4 (to 309 revision) in my Linux machine and it wen't well.;)

8. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I've been running a Samsung 470 256 GB SSD for several months now with no issues. The drive is extremely reliable and rock solid in my late 2011 15' MBP. If you do a search of these forums you'll find lots of useful info from members who are currently using the 470. I am contemplating purchasing the Samsung 830 to take full advantage of my sata 3 port and putting the 470 in the optical bay. Two SSD's and 16 gb ram would make for an even more awesome machine.

9. Khanjr macrumors newbie

I've had a 320 intel one it's been great and I've had it for about 4 months now and still going great, I heard that the ones from 2010 had a slight problem just try and get one that was made recently enough..The 520 is meant to be great as well.