Which SSD for 2010 white MacBook ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CmdrLaForge, Jul 1, 2015.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

I still use a white MacBook 2010 and I am wondering if it makes sense to give it a speedboost by installing an SSD.

So I would like to get some suggestions if you have any. I need 500 gig.

Also - is it worth it?

Cheers
    Laforge

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep that'll work well, as it's a sata 2 connection any modern SSD will work but your best bang for your buck currently is the crucial BX100. See the link...
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX100...&qid=1435760327&sr=8-2&keywords=crucial+BX100

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Most certainly worth it!

I'll second the BX100. Or any of the Crucial drives for that matter. I'd go Crucial or Samsung and grab whatever is cheapest. Heck, I grabbed a 120GB SanDisk for $49 at Best Buy last week to throw in a friends dying Dell.

As mentioned, you'll be limited to a bit under 300 MB/s anyway due to the SATA II chipset. So anything above it won't make a difference. I was getting ~270 MB/s on my 2008 MacBook with an OWC drive in it.

I've installed well over 50 Crucial drives (M550/MX100/MX200/BX100) and have had zero fail so far. The only ones I've had that were a bit iffy are the several Kingston SSDnow V300 drives. They work yes, but I've had a few lock up and or revert to SATA 1 due to the SandForce controller on Nvidia Chipset powered MacBooks (like yours). So I'd go Crucial or Samsung 850 Evo. With the BX100 usually being the cheapest.

Once it's in you'll love it!

4. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It is for sure worth it - I would also second (third?) the suggestion of Crucial (specifically BX100). I use an M4 in my 2010 Pro and it boots instantaneously without a single hiccup or error in the last 3 years since purchase. I'll be purchasing from them again in the future because of such a positive experience.

6. chrispfeiffer21 macrumors newbie

It's worth it, I am typing to you with a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB installed, and it's a good little runner. Still does all I need, and combined with 8GB of RAM and the promise of at least one more OS update (El Capitan), it still does all I need quickly enough. Plus I have a certain nostalgia for the old white plastic MacBooks, my first Mac was a 2006 model, so it's nice to keep the last of its kind going.

If you've installed OS X 10.10.4, then you also get the benefit of TRIM, read up on it, and see if you think you should do it, I did it and have noticed no difference, but it is something that in theory should enabled...

Best of luck :)