Which SSD For a mid 2011?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by krawfo, Mar 30, 2014.

1. krawfo macrumors regular

Sorry, another SSD thread.

For a mid-2011 iMac which SSD do I need - SATA, mSATA, or some other?
    I've looked at the video detailing the install at OWC - http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid27_2011_ssddiy/ Is there a better one?
    I've got some small screw drivers. Do I need to buy an install kit as well?

Thanks for the feedback.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. krawfo thread starter macrumors regular

I have a T10 torx so no problem there. The linked video is for a 21" Mac and I've got a 27. Are they essentially the same? I also noticed most of the videos show using suction cups to remove the screen. Essential??

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Yes, you need suction cups. And no, I would not rely on a video for a different model. The interior layout of the components is going to be different even though the task is essentially the same. I wouldn't rely on a 21 and 27 being disassembled and put back together in identical fashion even though it will obviously be a very similar process.

Have you considered going with an external Thunderbolt? I have a mid-2011 27" iMac myself and my own plan is to go with a LaCie external thunderbolt 256 gig model. This is going to run me around 350 bucks but the installation will be painless. While there is some performance tradeoff here it is not something I expect to even notice given that huge gain going from spinning drive to SSD is. I just thought I'd toss this out as something to consider. A nice plus is the drive is portable to your next system as well for whatever purposes it might serve then.

5. krawfo thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I have thought about going external for all the reasons you mention. I'm trying to balance the extra cost of an ext. vs the aggravation of an int.