Which SSD for new 13" MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baunkjaer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I've a new MBP on the way, and plan on replacing the HDD with an SSD.
    The original plan was to sell my current MBP with the original HDD installed, and then keep my 120GB G. Skill Phoenix Pro SSD for the new one.
    But, then I thought, why not try one of the new SSD's [SATA600], as the new MBP has the new connection?
    I'm aware the new drives is way faster than my current one, but is it worth it?

2. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I hear a lot of stable and unstable SSD on Newegg. It's either they are super fast at the beginning then start to lose the speed later on, or they just died after 3months of using it.

I rather buy a stable SSD, like Intel and Samsung. I don't want to lose all my data and lose all my important stuff.

3. johnnycy macrumors newbie

I am new about it

I am just new about it , but wanna learn it more

4. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Well, I'm aware Intel has a good reputation regarding SSD´s. But my G. Skill has been running for about a year - rock stable. Both in Mac´s and Windows laptops. I´ve a good experience with OCZ as well.
    My question was mainly concerning SATA300 vs SATA600...

5. aldejesus macrumors regular

I have both a Sata II and Sata III OWC SSDs mounted on my MBP 13 2011 and works excellent.

If your are buying one to replace the main HD, go for the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G line, Not one issue (Do not install Trim Enable, its not needed and cause beach balls)

Try them, you have 30 days of money back (You won't return them) and on the Sata III 5 years warranty (Costumer service is excellent)

Cons: Its not the cheapest one. But I prefer quality and service above price (Definitely if we are talking about spending hundreds $$$);)

6. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I´ll keep my G. Skill. But will have a closer look at the OWC. The old G. Skill will fit right into my daugthers laptop :)

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

You won't notice the difference between your GSkill and a SATA III drive unless you're extreme multi tasking or copying files on the drive itself.

That's why I say keep the GSkill.

8. Baunkjaer thread starter macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I don´t do serious work on my MBP. Anyway I want it to be as fast as possible:D
    Seems like I´ll just stick the G. Skill into the new MBP when it arrives - and save som bucks for the hollidays.
    Gotta love these win-win situations :)