Which SSD is Best for my 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applefan, Dec 22, 2015.

1. applefan macrumors regular

Hi,

I want to know if anyone has had experience with buying SSDs for their Mac from either Macsales or Crucial.
    I need to replace the HDD in my Mid 2012 13" MBP. Bother Macsales and Crucial have similar (not exact) items except Crucial is significantly less. For example, there 250GB SSD ifs $79.00 vs Macsales' 240GB SSD $114.75. The performance for both seems almost the same and so is the warrantee at 3 years. I've bought RAM from Macsales many times, and I've always been satisfied. I've never purchased from Crucial before, but I'm leaning toward buying the SSD from them, so I guess I'm checking to see if anyone here has had good or bad experiences with them or if the Macsales SSD is significantly better in anyway.

Thanks for any advise.

Macsales: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSD7E6G240/

Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/macbook-pro-2*5ghz-intel-core-i5-(13-inch-ddr3)-mid-2012/CT6723541

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 OP... you won't go wrong with either of these. No reason at all to pay more for the OWC drive.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

To echo keysofanxiety samsung EVO or any crucial tend to be the best bang for your buck. Just about every modern SSD will max out your SATA 3 connection though so just buy what you like.

5. DFWHD macrumors regular

I just dropped the EVO 850 in a late 2012 cMBP and it screams now. I've used Crucial in other macs. Both are good drives.

6. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for your replies. I'll probably go with the Crucial since the price is so good.

7. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

I love my EVOs. :D They are fast and reliable. I have four of them: two 850, one 840 and one 830. Three of them I even bought used.

My first SSD had been a Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB bought new in September 2011 and died a few days after I got it.
    Second one had been a Crucial CT960M500SSD1 960GB bought new in March 2014 and died in November 2014 with my whole music library back-upped on it and also a TimeMachine backup, at least I uploaded my other stuff like a huge amount of documents to OneDrive and got them back.
    Amazon refunded me the money but now I have to rip hundreds of CDs again if I want to get all my music back because I erased the SSD in my Mac before I noticed my backup disk is damaged.

I will never ever buy anything from Crucial again. :mad:

8. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Perfect response- I have a 2012 cMBP as well and am looking to swap the internal for a SSD and this saves me posting a question about it. Thanks!

9. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Years ago I put a 240GB OWC Electra 3G SSD in my Late-2008 13" Aluminum Macbook (replacing a 160GB HDD) and it was every bit as fast as advertised. Shockingly fast actually. It's still going strong today. BTW OWC offers occasional SSD firmware updates which I always applied and never has any issues. Its Sandforce controller negates the need for TRIM support. Highly recommended.

Having said the above, I recently obtained a Mid-2009 15" Macbook Pro with a failed 250GB HDD which I replaced with a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (it was on sale really cheap...) It's also working great, although it does require TRIM to be switched-on via OS X. No complaints about this one either, although if the price points were equal (or even close) I would have stuck with OWC because of my good experience with the older 13".

Note that both of these laptops can only support 3 Gb/s data transfer rates so the EVO is hobbled by that limitation. However to add my voice to the choir -- replacing a "spinny" HDD with any SSD is the single best thing you can do to make an older Mac feel like new again.