Which ssd is built into the current MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emil Jan, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Emil Jan macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

just wanted to know which ssd is built into the current MBPs and if it would make sense to get one from another company.
    Could you please tell me the exact model name and the manufacturer's name.
    However, would it make sense to buy a ssd and switch it with the hdd, if you get one cheap?

Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks in advance.

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I think it may vary based on availability. Torqx Patriots? I don't know....

The general consensus is that if you get one aftermarket, to go with the intel 2nd generation x25-m series, of which there are currently 80 and 160 gb models.

3. Emil Jan thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess I would get an OCZ Vertex Turbo Series SATA II 2.5" SSD instead of the Intel's one.
    Because of more space and speed, but thanks for your advice.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Apple usually uses Samsung or Toshiba OEM SSDs when you buy the upgrade direct from them. Both of which benchmarks have shown are slower than OCZ Vertex (or any other Indilinx-controller based SSDs like the Patriot Torqx) or Intel SSDs.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've never seen Apple use a Toshiba SSD but thats just based from reports on here. I know they use Samsung SSD's though.

I'd hold out for the x25 if you have the cash.

7. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I've seen Apple mainly use Toshiba 256GB SSDs for when customers upgrade to a 256GB SSD during the order process.

Personally I'd either get an Indilinx-controller SSD (like an OCZ Vertex or Patriot Torqx, good price/performance/capacity ratio) or an Intel X25-M Gen2 (great performance). For my current Macbook Pro 15" I just got lazy and ordered with the Apple SSD. Even with this Apple OEM Samsung model I can see a huge difference between this and a regular spinning HDD.

8. heliuscc macrumors member

Intel X-25M Gen 2 is the way to go, that's what I'm buying, reviews have been excellent.

9. McGilli macrumors 6502

Mine came with a Samsung - which I sold on Ebay this week - I bought 2 of the Intel x-25's from Newegg - and installed by removing the optical drive in the MBP and using an Optibay.

I ran Drive Genius Benchtests on the Intel and the Samsung while both were installed and the Intel came out so much faster in all read/write tests. So I set mine up as a RAID 0 with the 2 Intels and it is pretty awesome.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Intel SSDs are the most expensive SSDs on the market right now. You get what you pay for I suppose.

11. Emil Jan thread starter macrumors newbie

So you would get an Intel instead of an OCZ?
    The low capacity of only 160 Gb which Intel offers would be the reason why I would choose the OCZ's one, even 256 Gb is far to little for my needs.

12. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

The better performance that you get with the Intel drive is more important than the capacity gain from the OCZ drive.

13. telco*engineer macrumors member

I've just installed one to my macbook pro 15in 3.06ghz and the difference is amazing.

Got the SSD from scan in the UK

14. Emil Jan thread starter macrumors newbie

However, the X25-M is quite good at random reading / writing, but the subquential write pretty sucks, saw some statistics some minutes ago.
    Guess, I'd test them and then decide, but I reckon on your suggestions, guys.
    Damn, 160 Gb are far to little...hope Intel will show some with more capacity.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I believe that is a property of MLC based storage (someone will correct me on this). Intel does have the x25-E which is their enterprise/extreme class drive which does use SLC and beats the snot out of anything that looks at it, but it ain't cheap.

Still the x25-M is one of the fastest MLC based drives around.

16. Emil Jan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is.
    SLC has faster writing than MLC, but the x25-M has better random reading rates (got the statistics from a German IT-magazine which is well-known for it's quality, so you can rely on it).

17. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

to answer your question, apple oem's the SSDs from primarily Samsung and sometimes toshiba.

I had the 128 GB Samsung in my MBP and it freaking hauled. I got a bad case of the benchmark blues, though, and purchased the Intel X-25 G2 80GB. It is even faster. But the honest truth.....both are so fast, you would not know the difference. Kinda regret dumping the samsung, more space for the money(I bought the samsung off ebay for 200 bucks.)

I honestly cannot tell the two apart in day to day use. My perception was the samsung opened programs slightly faster.

The Intel is definitely future proofed because it has announced support for trim and is firmware upgradable. never got an answer on the samsung if it will ever support trim, but I gotta imagine it would since apple is using it.

18. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

im sitting tight for a price drop and capacity upgrade before i jump onto the ssd bandwagon

19. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Just got my Intel X-25m 160GB (G2) SSD yesterday. Installed it along with 4 gigs of RAM and holy hell! My 13inch MBP feels twice as fast as my previous 2008 Mac Pro. Intel SSD's are no joke. You get what you pay for.

Got from Ebay brand new for $460 with free shipping. I'm happy!

20. Emil Jan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't care about the price, I would get one when I'll buy my future MBP.

Besides, I like your nickname, because I'm studying Latin.