Which SSD is in your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorax3, Feb 24, 2011.

1. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

For those who have a MBP (any model) which model SSD did you go for?

I'll be picking up the high end 13" MBP (2011) later this evening and will likely order an install a 256GB Samsung 470 SSD

I'm reading people are having issues with the OCz and Crucial SSD's. I would go intel but the capacity is just not there.

What model did you get? Any issues? I'm going to assume the new 2011" MacBookPros are still compatible with standard 2.5" drives, and are easily swappable like the 2010 unibody models.

2. thinh3d macrumors member

what issues with Crucial exactly? I'm using the C300 and it's flying high. Also battery life is about 30 mins at least better! So I'm confused...what is the issue?

3. lorax3 thread starter macrumors regular

lorax3

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Intel X25-M; been using it for over a year and just moved it over to my new machine.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

6. ozred macrumors 6502

I installed an OCZ Vertex 2.

That plus 8GB ram, makes my 15" 2010 core i7 a veritable rocket :)

http://goo.gl/dP4C7

7. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Went for the OWC Mercury SSD. Swapped out the ODD for it and the thing flies. 15 second boot times and instantaneous app loading :D

8. lorax3 thread starter macrumors regular

lorax3

Just got home with my 2011 13" i7, it's pretty damn quick as it is. (even at 5400)

Debating on waiting for SSD prices to decline, or just getting one!

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's more of a luxury than anything else. If you're holding off on it because the prices, you'll probably need to wait a year for them to become more reasonable.

10. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Dont buy ssd now guys, vertex is coming out with their vertex 3 running on sata III @ 6gbps

also intel are coming out with new ssd drives, you are going to see an even bigger peformance increase. they are coming very soon.

11. iTabone macrumors regular

Since I have to buy from a B&M, I can't get a high-res screen or an SSD so I might have to get an aftermarket one. Do you guys recommend it if most of my current HDD is filled with music? Can an external HDD provide easy syncing options?

12. jimithing macrumors member

You can get whats called an opti-boot... it basically lets you put an SSD in place of your HDD and then put your HDD in also where you optical disc drive is right now. its like 20 bucks for the kit, you order it with you ssd on sites like OWC. So you lose the disc drive but since your talking about external hard drive anyway, i would reccomend external disc drive (if you need it) and internal HDD in place of the disc drive with SSD in place of the HDD... best and most cost effective option by far.