Which SSD is the most mac friendly?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chupacabra31, Aug 30, 2011.

1. chupacabra31 macrumors member

I just returned an OCZ Agility 2 that I had installed in an opti-bay. Unfortunately I could not update the firmware.

When you take the optical drive out and put it in a USB enclosure the optical drive behaves differently and is no longer a bootable device (restarting and holding option or C).

You also can't seem to be able to use a USB flash drive as well.

Just wondering if there is a manufacturer out there that offers an OSX firmware updater that does not require windows and bootcamp (I just cant afford another operating system just to update firmware).

I was thinking OWC, but apparently there solutions require you to boot into windows using bootcamp. Funny, because they offer the data doubler. I guess the only solace with them is that they say they haven't needed to update the firmware of the Mercury Extreme pro 3g for over a year.

The whole reason I had to return the OCZ is that I was using it as a scratch disk in CS5 and it was giving me a pinwheel doing the simplest of tasks (working with low resolution images, never happened before with the traditional hdd).

2. treestar macrumors 6502

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

To some extent they all require Windows. I know with Intel, however, you can update the firmware by burning a DVD/CD and booting. But in order to do a secure erase of the SSD you would need to have Windows.

Also, if you get an Intel 320 series SSD, make sure to run the firmware update like as soon as possible. Recovering from a Bad Context 13x error is a pain in the ass, as it requires a secure erase from a Windows computer.

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Are you saying that you can't use the Apple USB to install Lion because you are using an Optibay?

5. treestar macrumors 6502

I believe he/she meant he/she could not use their SuperDrive in an external enclosure to run the OCZ firmware update disc.

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Ah, okay. Well, I did update the firmware on my Intel 320 SSD today and hopefully things will continue well. Trying to decide if I want to put in another SSD or just remain traditional with the 7200 RPM Seagate. Decisions, decisions...

7. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Well I would probably not hesitate if you run bootcamp and windows, but if not, well...might want to wait apparently.

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

No bootcamp or Windows. Spoke to MCE (Optibay maker). They said go with an SSD in the Optibay if you want or HDD.

9. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

It's funny how you got it! I guess we speak the same language. :D

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Funny how my english is perfect but I took what you said literally. I tend not to infer. You know what they say about what happens when you assume. Do I need the finish it or can you figure out the rest?

11. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

I hope your not offended by my comment. I was trying to point out in a humble way that I may not have presented my problem very clearly.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

My bad mate. Was having a bad day and took it out on you. It's all good.

In relation to your first post, had the same thing using a Corsair SSD. The problem might be the controller. Dumped it and went to Intel. No problems.

13. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

No worries.

Yeah, I currently have the Intel 320 120gb as my main drive, seriously thinking about getting another, but I wish I could get it with the newest firmware somehow or get someone else to update the firmware for me.

14. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so the way the intel updater works is through a bootable ISO. What if I were to clone my current OS onto the new drive, before I install it, then take out the current intel drive, finally place the new drive back where the old intel drive was, then viola, I can use the bootable ISO CD to update the new drive.

When all done I can just reinstall the old hdd, place the new hdd in the hdd caddy, then use disk utility to erase it.

Would that work? Can I clone the drive using disk utility and have it be effective enough for this purpose?

Thanks!

15. treestar macrumors 6502

The firmware updater doesn't affect your data in any way. It will all still be there. Nothing ever touches the file system. I updated my 320 firmware with a USB optical drive. I don't understand why you are bothering with backing up your OS and data.

16. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Because I could not boot an iso via the apple superdrive in an external enclosure that is USB powered from maxupgrades.

Which USB optical drive do you have? Maybe that is just the ticket. Thanks.

17. treestar macrumors 6502

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Darn, I forgot to mention this as well. I have a non-Apple external optical drive that I use to "archive" DVD's and it will also function as a boot drive. I think it is a Samsung. Only cost 20 dollars or so. Maybe you can try this.

19. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Hey where did you get yours for $19.99? They are 29.99 at newegg. That seems like just the thing. Seems a shame to waste the internal optical drive though, but if you can boot from these optical drives its done and done.

20. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

They're $19.99 with a mail-in-rebate. It's under the price

21. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Turns out the OEM Apple optical drive in an external USB enclosure can read ISOs! Not sure what I did before, but I was able to update my Intel SSD using their firmware from a bootable ISO no problem.