Which ssd should i buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotigno, Jun 16, 2012.

1. scotigno macrumors member

Jun 6, 2012
  2. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2007
    Earlier this week, the Samsung 830 was just $90 for the 128gb. I've also seen the M4 for $105. Wait for a price drop to occur again to pick up an SSD. I would go with the Samsung 830 since it's been benchmarked to be a faster SSD than the Marvell controller in the M4. Though real world performance is almost negligible among most SSDs. I currently have the Intel 520 SSD in my mbp and my friends have the M4, I wouldn't know the difference unless they told me.
  3. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2008
    I just installed the M4 512GB in my 15" 2010 Pro.

I wasn't sure about whether the firmware install CD would work on my MBP, so I upgraded it to the latest firmware on a desktop first.

I first used CCC to backup my internal drive to the SSD (in an external enclosure).

The problems were probably of my own making. Office 2011 required reactivation. I thought that it might have been the way I cloned the computer, so I tried restoring from time machine. Outlook 2011 apparently doesn't allow some files to be backed up with time machine, but the rebuild DB failed. So I did it again using clonezilla.

Issue about activation again. That is an issue I guess I'll have to call Microsoft about, since it thinks I've gone over the limit of computers. The SSD makes Microsoft think it is a different computer.

I also worried about the lack of TRIM. The method I used to clone the hard drive copied all sectors, so the drive thought that all but 12GB was in use. I figured that would mess up GC, so I enabled TRIM using the console method of patching the kext.

One day is hard to tell, but boot times are noticeably improved.