Which ssd should i buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotigno, Jun 16, 2012.

1. scotigno macrumors member

2. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Earlier this week, the Samsung 830 was just $90 for the 128gb. I've also seen the M4 for $105. Wait for a price drop to occur again to pick up an SSD. I would go with the Samsung 830 since it's been benchmarked to be a faster SSD than the Marvell controller in the M4. Though real world performance is almost negligible among most SSDs. I currently have the Intel 520 SSD in my mbp and my friends have the M4, I wouldn't know the difference unless they told me.

3. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I just installed the M4 512GB in my 15" 2010 Pro.

I wasn't sure about whether the firmware install CD would work on my MBP, so I upgraded it to the latest firmware on a desktop first.

I first used CCC to backup my internal drive to the SSD (in an external enclosure).

The problems were probably of my own making. Office 2011 required reactivation. I thought that it might have been the way I cloned the computer, so I tried restoring from time machine. Outlook 2011 apparently doesn't allow some files to be backed up with time machine, but the rebuild DB failed. So I did it again using clonezilla.

Issue about activation again. That is an issue I guess I'll have to call Microsoft about, since it thinks I've gone over the limit of computers. The SSD makes Microsoft think it is a different computer.

I also worried about the lack of TRIM. The method I used to clone the hard drive copied all sectors, so the drive thought that all but 12GB was in use. I figured that would mess up GC, so I enabled TRIM using the console method of patching the kext.

One day is hard to tell, but boot times are noticeably improved.