Which SSD should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MathewBR, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MathewBR macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I'm looking for a SSD. I've been reading a lot about it, but I don't have a conclusion yet. Well there are just a few models on my country, so I need help to choose one of these models:

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, Intel 520 240GB, Kingston HyperX 240GB, Corsair Perfomance Pro 256GB and Corsair Force GT 240GB.

OCZ, Corsair and Intel cost about $500, Corsair about $575 and Kingston about $450. Yeah, the prices are right, all electronics, cars, etc, are very expensive here due to taxes...

I've read about some problems with SandForce Controllers, is it still happening? Except for Corsair Performance Pro (Marvel Controller) and Vertex 4 (Indilinx), all of them have SandForce Controllers.

Thank you everyone.

2. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

You really need to look at the Samsung 830. ~200 for the 256GB and ~550 for the 512GB. Very reliable and well supported for macs. (Edit: nevermind if it isnt available).

The Intel is a good choice. The vertex 4 is still fairly new so I would hold off on that one if you can (at least until there is more history on it). Although, so far the reviews I've read are fairly positive.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Everyone here nut swings on Samsung and Crucial SSDs. Although good SSDs I also recommend OCZ or Corsair.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1427430

4. mjn298 macrumors regular

damn what's the VAT like in brazil? those are some serious markups.

5. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

My thoughts exactly. Very pricey compared to what I paid in the states.

6. MathewBR thread starter macrumors newbie

About the SSD, unfortunately I've seen the Samsung only in two e-stores. One of them is totally unknown, the other only sells the 128gb model. I've only seen Crucial and Plexor in 128gb models too. I think I only can buy these models...

About the taxes, we don't have a VAT here, there are lots of taxes included on the final price. The most known tax is called IPI, it's a 60% tax on some imported goods, like electronics. The prices that I told to you guys is found in small stores on the web. If I wanted to buy one of these SSDs at a Mall, I would have to pay about 50% more. If you guys have some interest about it, there's a article written in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/08/11/brazils-ridiculous-80000-jeep-grand-cherokee/