Which SSD to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josephmccutchen, Oct 22, 2011.

1. josephmccutchen, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

josephmccutchen macrumors member

Before I ask my question, here are the specs on my Serial-ATA for the main bay:

Intel 5 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 5 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

I'm confused by "SATA-3, "3G", "6G", etc. I'm looking at the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 6G drives, but I'm not sure which one to get. If someone could explain this to me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. azxr macrumors member

Your chipset will only support up to a SATA 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s) drive. SATA 3 will support up to a 6 Gbit/s drive. So there is no reason to get the faster SATA 3 for your current computer unless you plan to eventually move it to another computer with a SATA 3 chipset. If you do consider purchasing a SATA 3 drive, make sure it is backward compatible with SATA 2. I think most if not all are, but check just in case.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I wouldn't future proof here, just get the SATA 2 buy the time you're ready to upgrade computers (unless thats next month) SSD's will be cheaper.

4. captgecos macrumors newbie

captgecos

I agree with azxr & GermanyChris about the getting the SATA 2. This will match your system and save you some money.

As for SSD to use: I know people in the forum have had good luck with OWC Mercury drives (I didn't have good luck with them and had 2 DOA). I use a Patriot Torx 64G (wife's MBP 13) and a Patriot Pyro 120G (MBP 17). Both of the Patriot drives have worked out of the box with no issues.

Hope this helps.