Which SSD to choose for Mid 2010 MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doty, Dec 29, 2012.

1. doty macrumors newbie

I know most people will recommend Samsung 830 since its the one of the top performance drive but right now in the market, it pretty hard to find since the release of the 840s. So my Question is which drive should i get for my mac apart from the 830s?

Performance > Price for. Below are a few SSD im looking at.

1) Samsung 840 Pro
    1) OCZ Vertex 4
    3) Crucial M4

Thanks in advance for the help! Cheers :D:D

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

As the 2010 model has SATA II then performance wise there will not be much of a difference as they are all faster than 300MBps. The 840 Pro seems a good choice.

Which is the cheapest option for you?

3. doty thread starter macrumors newbie

M4 defo the cheapest but the difference between these SSDs are 30-40 bucks apart though.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you don't plan on upgrading your computer anytime soon, just go with the M4.

5. OS-SEX macrumors member

OS-SEX

I picked up a Crucial M4 256 GB for my 15" 2010 mbp back in November. Was only $165 back then from amazon, i think it's a little more now. It's been an exceptionally fast and reliable performer for me in the short time I've had it. Probably the best value of any computer upgrade I've ever purchased.

6. doty, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

doty thread starter macrumors newbie

Reliability wise which will be the best? Since I will be using programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and illustrator. Also does the write speed and read speed have effects on those programs im using? I.f not i will go for the m4 since its the cheapest of all.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think anybody really knows for sure. You will get posts from users of all those drives saying they suck or they are great. There really is not a good source for reliability data. That said, I have not noticed a flood of posts about problems with any of those drives. Given your SATA II limitation, I would get whichever is cheapest.

8. doty thread starter macrumors newbie

For use of Adobe software like photoshop, lightroom, illustrator and so on..is the write speed a factor in performance? Hope someone able to enlighten me on this thanks..

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I own an M4 and have found it reliable. Bonus points for being to upgrade the firmware on a Mac which as far as i know is only also possible with the Vertex 4.

The Vertex 4 is probably the better buy since it has better write speed which will help with the Adobe suite but if you want to save a few $$$ then the M4 is very much a capable product and isn't far behind the other two in any other department except write speed.

10. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I would recommend an Intel or a Samsung. Both are used as OEM drives which says a lot IMO. Apple MacBook Pros ship with Samsung 830s with Apple firmware. Many ThinkPads ship with Intel 320s. The Samsung 830 or 840 Pro would be a good choice.