Which SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Parayzeme89`, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Parayzeme89` macrumors newbie

im looking at spendin between 150-400 dollars, i plan to buy my first mac this thursday with the macbook pro refresh and what to start out with a SSD. What brands does everyone use for macs, is there any upcomming teck to wait for?

2. nickarate macrumors regular

I am curious about this too. I was about to pick up a Crucial RealSSD C300 with 128 gigs, but I'm curious to know what the community thinks about them.

Thanks,
    Nick

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Uh I'm a bit of a noob...but do you need to order this with the new MacBooks?
    I kinda just want to get my Macbook and not have to buy all this other stuff too.

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I have that drive in my MacBook Pro and it's great. I don't know if it's the fastest drive on the planet right now, but it's way up there among the fastest drives you can buy.

6. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

not in the macbook pro because its a sata III drive. you won't get maximum speeds from the c300 in a mbp

7. nickarate macrumors regular

I heard a rumor that the new MBP would do SATA III. Does that seem feasible?

8. macmac88 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Seems pretty reasonable... Apple had to make tweaks in order to use the faulty Intel chipsets, so they're forced to use Sata III...

9. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So can you break this down into something I would understand?
    If we get a new one on Thursday with these faulty chips will they still work? aka not mess up 2 years down the road...

10. macmac88 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yep. Only laptops which use the SATA II ports are affected. Apple can fix that by using SATA III ports, which in my opinion is a good thing...

Basically you won't be affected...

11. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

12. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

RAM modules and hard drives have always been considered "user serviceable" so upgrading them yourself with proper aftermarket parts is perfectly acceptable to everyone, including Apple.

Generally, the advantages to doing these upgrades yourself are that you will save money, have more options, and can wait for a while if you want.

The advantages to buying the upgrades from Apple are the convenience of not having to deal with these things, your MBP arrives how you want it, and those parts will be covered under Apple's standard 1-year warranty and/or Applecare.

There is some research that suggests that the solid state drives that Apple offers are not the best, but those tests generally use highly bizarre random data writing that is far from anything normal use should generate.

13. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah I'm just using it for surfing the web, music, schoolwork/word/excel, editing small clips from my HD camera and burning some Dvds...nothing too crazy. Would I be fine with everything that comes stock?

14. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

The stock set-up is designed for you -- no doubt.

And you can always add more RAM or upgrade your HD to a faster-spinning one or a solid state one later. You'll get a little of that "new car smell" back! :)

15. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Haha awesome.
    Aren't the rumors for the SSD only listed up to 16 GB's...that seems pretty low.
    Will that affect performance in my case or is the SSD only for start up applications?

16. macmac88 macrumors member

Performance will get better, not worse compared to current MBPs.

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

This drive has gotten great reviews and there are many members at overclock.net who are quite happy with them.

18. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

The rumor was for an 8-16 GB SSD for the OS. I didn't see that it would be available for applications, but OSX has a much smaller footprint than 16 GB (I think it's less than 6 GB, and smaller with Monolingual or XSlimmer) so it would make sense to have that space available. Either way, it will no doubt improve start-up and other system performance metrics.

The SSD I mentioned was replacing your regular 2.5" spinning drive with an SSD later.