Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Which ssd

William7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
so i have decided i want to upgrade my hdd to an ssd and am wondering which brand of ssds i should buy, i was looking at the samsung 830s which claim to have reads of 520mbps and i am more worried about read than write, any recomendations? and are they all roughly the same price for similar specs? or is there a deal out there somewhere? :D

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
so i have decided i want to upgrade my hdd to an ssd and am wondering which brand of ssds i should buy, i was looking at the samsung 830s which claim to have reads of 520mbps and i am more worried about read than write, any recomendations? and are they all roughly the same price for similar specs? or is there a deal out there somewhere? :D

Samsung 830 is an excellent choice - Just purchase from a place where you can return it.

Although many other SSD are also excellent choices.

Comment

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Samsung, Toshiba, and Intel SSDs which I had experience with are pretty reliable.

Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've been very happy with my OWC; long warranty, good reputation, fast, automatic garbage collection tested to work well on a Mac, and assembled in the US. They certainly did more to follow up on the 6Gbit SATA issues on the 2011 MBPs than any of the other manufacturers.

Comment

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
from what I've read, Intel's still have the lowest failure rate. Even though they're a little more pricey, I've heard of a lot less issues with them in the big picture compared to some of the others.

Comment

exposition

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I installed a 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 in my 2009 Macbook Pro about a year ago. Dead simple to install, not a single problem under Snow Leopard or Lion. I recommend it.

Comment

William7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
second question

i understand what trim is and the softwares that mark stuff to be deleted instead of actually deleting it cause its better for the drive etc. but how do i tell if the drive has it? or is it something i have to/can put on the drive afterwards?

Comment

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
i understand what trim is and the softwares that mark stuff to be deleted instead of actually deleting it cause its better for the drive etc. but how do i tell if the drive has it? or is it something i have to/can put on the drive afterwards?

TRIM only works on Apple SSDs - However there is a way to enable TRIM on SSDs - with people reporting different results.

Comment

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
I've been very happy with my OWC; long warranty, good reputation, fast, automatic garbage collection tested to work well on a Mac, and assembled in the US. They certainly did more to follow up on the 6Gbit SATA issues on the 2011 MBPs than any of the other manufacturers.

I have two OWC SSDs, and a good friend of mine bought one as well. No problems with any of them, and they work as advertised (in terms of data transfer rate). Good warrantee, good customer support, Mac centric, and a US based company. Highly advised.

Comment

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
from what I've read, Intel's still have the lowest failure rate. Even though they're a little more pricey, I've heard of a lot less issues with them in the big picture compared to some of the others.
Has Intel worked out the performance problems that digiloyd was seeing?

Mostly, though, I'm curious about how well modern non-OWC SSDs do automatic garbage collection on the MacOS with an HFS volume. A year and a half ago, digiloyd did a very thorough test with several high-end OWC, Crucial, and Intel SSDs, and found that after being filled with a bunch of data and erased a few times, the OWC ran smoothly while the performance on the other brands was completely shot.

Now, that was a full generation of controller ago, so it's quite possible that Intel 510s don't suffer the same problem and that any drive with a SandForce 2K series controller does exactly the same effective HFS garbage collection without the need for TRIM; I have no idea if OWC uses any firmware tweaks or not. It's just that I've never seen a similar test done on current-gen drives; the sites I usually go to for SSD performance tests never seem to do these heavy-use-scenereo tests. Maybe because they're not necessary, I've just never seen any confirmation of that.

Comment

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I installed a 128GB OCZ Vertex 2 in my 2009 Macbook Pro about a year ago. Dead simple to install, not a single problem under Snow Leopard or Lion. I recommend it.

+1. I have two Vertex 2 drives, both over a year old and working flawlessly. They're last-gen now, so they're pretty cheap too.

Comment

rsm100

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
I have two OWC SSDs, and a good friend of mine bought one as well. No problems with any of them, and they work as advertised (in terms of data transfer rate). Good warrantee, good customer support, Mac centric, and a US based company. Highly advised.

Same here. Been using an OWC Extreme Pro 240GB in my MacBook Pro for over a year now. Flawless operation, excellent support including firmware upgrades. Great company.

Comment

acesam

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Comment

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
If your computer is SATA 3 buy the OCZ Vertex 3. Otherwise, buy the OCZ Vertex 2. Simple.:)

Comment

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Go with an OWC. The company is awesome. In fact, I think of them as an Apple that sells only 3rd party parts and peripherals. If that made any sense.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.