Which SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

After flirting with getting an MBA I've decided to get the new low end 13" MBP and put in a SSD and bump the RAM up to 4GB. (It just seems like more bang for the buck. I'll do a few extra bench presses so I can handle the extra 1.5lbs :D )

Anyway...

The research I've done leads me to believe the Intel X25-M is the gold standard (I think Kingston is a re-branded version) so that is where I'm leaning. Any other recs? My price range is "up to $320" which is the lowest I've seen the Intel 80GB.

Also looking at the data sheet it looks like there are 2 2.5" form factors- a 7mm version and a 9.5mm version. I assume I need the 9.5 version which is the same height as a typical laptop drive, correct?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Any thing with an Indilinx controller would be next best option like OCZ Vertex or G. Skill Falcon. None of these come close to the random read numbers that the X25-M can achieve. They can get high sequential read speeds but for many, its the random read speed that matters the most. Think about how often your computer reads large amounts of data all at once. Not too often for many. With that said, if you prefer the 120GB over the 80GB, then those are great options.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Go for the Intel if you can get by with 80GB of space. As for the height, I'm sure either size would be okay, as long as it's the 2.5" width.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

intel or corsair p128 / ocz summit

very good unit's

i own a intel 80gb and soon to own a 120gb summit.

will let you know how they run.

intel is fast but i have not seen a HUGE improvement. but maybe im just blind :p

5. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, 80GB will be tough but my logic is that if I'm going to go the SSD route it has to be for speed. If all I'm going to get is HD performance then I might as well get a hard drive w/ 3x the space at 3x less cost.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Any SSD will be fine , they are 10x better than any hdd

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

This is wrong. Some SSDs are much better than others and some SSDs are worse than hard drives.