Which SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcruzader, Mar 1, 2010.

1. mcruzader macrumors regular

Ok so I have set my eyes on an SSD, I just don't know which one. I have been checking out the forums and everyone says go Intel hands down. Know my question is which one would be better an Intel x-25 M with read of 250MB/s and Write of 100MB/s or a Corsair with read of 220MB/s and write of 200MB/s. Any Corsair mac users out there? How about down the road, which would be easier to get back to factory conditions once degradation starts to occur. Thanks ahead of time.

Update: I also want to take into consideration the OWC Mercury Extreme priced at $399.99 for 100GB, $499.99 Intel X25-M 160GB and Corsair P128 128GB $375.00.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Check OCZ as well. They have very fast SSDs for reasonable prices.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Intels don't loose speed over the time and are MUCH faster for random read and write speeds, which is most important if you consider the SSD so be your boot and app drive.

4. mastercool10 macrumors member

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's a SATA III drive, hence it requires an additional controller to reach those speeds.
    If you use that drive on a SATA II (which all current Macs exclusively have), it won't be faster than any other high performance SSD in terms of sequential write speeds.

6. mcruzader thread starter macrumors regular

So what is the difference between this one and this one. Other than one being retail and the other being OEM.

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

The retail has a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor so you can put it in a desktop as well, the OEM is just the drive

8. tliptak macrumors regular

The read/write speed isn't the main stat you should be looking at.

What you should be looking at is access time. Fast access time is what makes ssd's so fast for use as an OS boot drive and for launching applications.

The reason people are recommending the Intel SSD's is because their Random Access time is ~.085 milliseconds, much faster then most SSD's. However, the OWC has been getting great reviews. Their read/write speed is also fantastic. (For comparison a fast 1tb HD: The samsung spinpoint f3, has a 16.1 millisecond average random access time.)

9. tomllama macrumors regular

10. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

A short answer would be:

From the current generation, get an intel x25-m, ocz Vertex or Agility.
    If you got some time and can wait a couple of month, intel will release new SSDs later this year or check out the new SandForce SSDs.

11. mcruzader thread starter macrumors regular

Just as an update, I went ahead and purchased the intel 160gb x-25m and its amazing!!! Best update ever!!

12. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Can you upload some video to show us how performs on your mac? im seriouly thinking on put it a ssd on my imac also :cool:

13. mcruzader thread starter macrumors regular

Uhm sure, I can try to do that, is there anything specific you would like to see other than the startup?