Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Which SSD brands can be firmware updated on a Mac and which ones need a Windows PC?

Can Windows only firmware updates be done from a virtual machine?

Must you usually boot from another installation to upgrade firmware on your main OS SSD?

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Samsung requires Windows to access firmware downloads through Samsung Magician, but you can put the firmware on a flash drive and install it from there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe OWC now offers an installing disc that boots a version of linux. My point is that it doesn't matter what you're running since they provided this option

wassal43

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
guys your experience on this please i am looking for SSD to be updated with no need for CD because i gonna replace it with HDD

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California

Justinhub2003

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Cincinnati Oh
Um no. From your link: Samsung SSD Firmware Updates for Windows Users
Samsung drives require booting in Windows and the drive must be internal. So you need bootcamp at a minimum. Crucial's easy.

EVER heard of booting from an ISO disk? Its how I updated my Crucial M4 and its how I can update my Samsung 840.

Sure, to do it from within an OS, you need windows but its very very easy to boot from .ISO DVD and update. Literally no Windows needed.

**EDIT** I just tried it and it actually didn't work, at least on the first try but this is typically not the case. Usually an .ISO file will let you update the firmware on any machine for SSD's.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-23 at 3.16.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-23 at 3.16.45 PM.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Which SSD brands can be firmware updated on a Mac and which ones need a Windows PC?

I know the Crucial M4 can be updated from a Mac, but I've only ever tried it from a CD.

Can Windows only firmware updates be done from a virtual machine?

No, you can't update the SSD from a virtual machine.

Must you usually boot from another installation to upgrade firmware on your main OS SSD?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. The non Windows based firmware installer for the M4 booted from a CD running a variant of Linux.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
EVER heard of booting from an ISO disk? Its how I updated my Crucial M4 and its how I can update my Samsung 840.

Sure, to do it from within an OS, you need windows but its very very easy to boot from .ISO DVD and update. Literally no Windows needed.

**EDIT** I just tried it and it actually didn't work(emphasis mine), at least on the first try but this is typically not the case. Usually an .ISO file will let you update the firmware on any machine for SSD's.

I do know what an ISO is, had a 128 GB Samsung 830, tried to update it and could not. I returned it and got a Crucial M4. Updates like a champ from an ISO image on a CD.
It seems Samsung's answer to this exact question is you need a Windows Computer to make a bootable USB and "may" be able to boot from said USB. Many have friends using Windows. A CD would probably work too.

From searching MacRumors you can see many have had this question and end up using a) booting into a Bootcamp version of Windows on your machine, or b) installing the SSD inside another Windows machine. That's right, inside, not in an external USB drive because the firmware utility see's the USB controller not the SSD.

Also, shortcut3d said this about other drives:
"...it seems I've had no problems with OWC or OCZ current Linux boot disk methods to update the firmware. I can confirm that you can update the firmware over Thunderbolt as well which is good news because you can put any Thunderbolt Mac in target disk mode and update from another Mac with bootcamp. No need to have bootcamp on each machine.

I would not try running a firmware update through a VM. The complete path through to the SATA controller is virtualized. This will most likely result in bricking your SSD, if the tool even starts. Good tools will recognize this and prevent the user from updating the firmware.
"

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
OCZ Vector on a Mac.

Is the Vector compatible when it comes to firmware updates? Now, I'm seriously thinking about the OCZ Vector.

Last edited:

JT3Jon

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
Is this still true of the Samsung 840 Pro, that you need to install it in a windows machine in order to update the firmware? If so, thats a MAJOR point against as I do not own windows or bootcamp. Does that mean its impossible for me to update the firmware on a Samsung 840 Pro installed in a 2012 macbook pro?

If so, looks like I'll be going Sandisk extreme!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is this still true of the Samsung 840 Pro, that you need to install it in a windows machine in order to update the firmware? If so, thats a MAJOR point against as I do not own windows or bootcamp. Does that mean its impossible for me to update the firmware on a Samsung 840 Pro installed in a 2012 macbook pro?

If so, looks like I'll be going Sandisk extreme!

That's not true. You can update the firmware on the Samsung 840/840 Pro via OS X. Follow this link to download the ISO for use on OS X. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I'm not sure what my issue is, but when I try to boot the Samsung ISO to verify I have the latest firmware on my 840 Pro my MBP gets to the "FreeDOS" prompt and then hangs. That was with a CD. I assumed it was because I have 16GB of memory and FreeDOS doesn't know how to deal with it, but I don't know.

Has anyone else been able to boot the Samsung ISO with 16GB and have it work?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm not sure what my issue is, but when I try to boot the Samsung ISO to verify I have the latest firmware on my 840 Pro my MBP gets to the "FreeDOS" prompt and then hangs. That was with a CD. I assumed it was because I have 16GB of memory and FreeDOS doesn't know how to deal with it, but I don't know.

Has anyone else been able to boot the Samsung ISO with 16GB and have it work?

Are you using an external optical drive? If so this will not work as it needs to be an optical drive on the main SATA bus.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
OCZ firmware can be updated on a Mac, and you don't need an ISO to do it. They released their bootable toolbox in Mac-friendly form. Put the software on a flash drive and boot from it. A couple caveats, though: 1) You need to use a USB mouse to navigate the toolbox GUI, as the MBP's trackpad is not supported. 2) Firmware updates are downloaded from OCZ's website via the tool, and WiFi is not supported. You must use a wired/Ethernet connection.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Aw snap, ok. How about with a USB memory stick?

Nope. It has to be on an optical drive connected to the SATA bus. Several of us a month or two ago tried many different ways to get this to work on OS X, but that is the only way.

The other option is to install Windows into BootCamp and then you can upgrade the SSD from the Samsung Magician software and then delete the BootCamp partition if you no longer need it.

Samsung is rumored to be coming out with the Magician software for OS X, but I haven't seen it materialize yet.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Nope. It has to be on an optical drive connected to the SATA bus. Several of us a month or two ago tried many different ways to get this to work on OS X, but that is the only way.

The other option is to install Windows into BootCamp and then you can upgrade the SSD from the Samsung Magician software and then delete the BootCamp partition if you no longer need it.

Samsung is rumored to be coming out with the Magician software for OS X, but I haven't seen it materialize yet.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Guess I'll be waiting for the Mac software, seems silly to install Bootcamp just for that. :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Guess I'll be waiting for the Mac software, seems silly to install Bootcamp just for that. :)

Which version of firmware do you have?

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for Samsung to release the Mac version of Magician.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Which version of firmware do you have?

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for Samsung to release the Mac version of Magician.

Yup, unless my eyes deceive me. :D Like I said, not a big deal right now but something I'd like to have a solution for in case there's a future update that should be installed.

Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series:

Capacity: 512.11 GB (512,110,190,592 bytes)
Model: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series
Revision: DXM04B0Q

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.