Which SSD's will work with the new 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crunch, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Which SSD's will work best (or at all) in the new 2011 MBP's? I like the Intel 160GB G2's but I don't think Apple uses Intel SSD's and therefore there is no driver. Is that how it works?

Apple does use Samsung's and Toshiba SSD's, so should I get one of those?

Thanks. :)

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You don't need a driver, so any SATA-interfaced SSD would work. If you're getting a 2011 model, I'd recommend a SATA-3 model like the Vertex 3 as it would be fastest. Some people mention problems with certain models, but you'll know whether it works or not right away and well within a return period.

If you're getting the high-end 15" or 17", the 128GB Apple SSD is a good buy because it's only a $90 upgrade (w/ the education discount anyway).

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Basically all SATA II SSDs will work.

Crucial M4 and Corsair Force 3 didn't work stable in my MBP 2011 13". Vertex 3 did but I didn't like the battery life.

4. sunnyj macrumors 6502

i have a OWC 240gb SSD 3G in the optibay. if you get a 6G SSD it will be hit or miss to work in your 2011 17" mbp

5. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

Ok, awesome!!! The reason I asked is because when I built Hackintosh's, it was always imperative that whatever parts were used needed to have Apple support in any Mac, didn't matter which.

One more follow-up: I'm told, and this is super exciting for me because I don't ever use optical drives, that I can take out the DVD burner (Super Drive) and can put in a 2nd SSD or hard drive. Is that for realz? Even more exciting is the possibility of RAID'ing the two internal SSD's for even better speeds???

Finally, if I do get two SATA III drives (6Gbps), would they both be able to run at that speed? The main drive bay has a link speed of 6Gbps but when I look at System Information (formerly System Profiler in pre-Lion OS X versions), it says that while it is also a 6 Series chipset, the Link speed is only 3Gbps and for the DVD drive, of course, the negotiated actual speed is only 1.5Gbps. That's fine for a DVD drive, but would I only be able to get 3Gbps out of where the Super Drive is hooked in?

These are exciting times! :D Thanks everyone!!!

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Sounds like your optical bay is only SATAII. So is mine.

7. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a