Which Superdrive was shipped in your late 2008 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 91macclassic, Dec 2, 2008.

1. 91macclassic macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying I come from a long unhappy story of being an earlier adopter CTO purchaser. Ordered during keynote, yeah yeah I know I am a guinea pig. My advice never ever do it...got a lemon, back and forth phone calls headaches, only buy from store...if you need service and is business critical, anyway.

Finally got my replacement, no more loose battery cover, not that i complained, now has the 9c84 display, not much difference between that and 9c85 after calibration (don't let the posts on here fool you - relax) and a different superdrive.

My first lemon unibody 2.8 had HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N Firmware SA15, made in korea with the NICE NEW ZIPPY sound when opening the book. I mean it sounded amazing...like the future. :) My replacement model has the old school, ANCIENT sounding Matshita DVD-R UJ-868 Firmware KA14. Not so futuristic sounding...

Okay, question, which is the more desirable drive and why? Abilities, reliabitly, reason for change of vendor, etc?

I already miss that modern HL-DT-ST sound...am I nuts? Compulsive, alone in this?

Holla back.

S

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. lscangus macrumors 6502

My first one has the one you had. Very loud

My replacement has the UJ-868, i prefer this one :)

4. 91macclassic thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha bottom line...aside from the weirdness.

Which is the more desirable drive and why? Abilities, reliability, reason for change of vendor, etc?

Is one better than the other?

Whats the difference if any, other than sound of drive?

thanks,

S

5. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

My MBP came with a Matshita DVD-R UJ-868 Firmware KA14.

6. EngenZerO macrumors regular

same with mine...

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same. I like it, very quiet and doesn't vibrate much at all when reading discs. :D

8. voltare macrumors member

I have to agree. The Matshita is loud and clunky sounding.

9. 91macclassic thread starter macrumors newbie

I stand corrected with what I said before. 48hrs sure makes a difference.

"Finally got my replacement, no more loose battery cover, not that i complained, now has the 9c84 display, not much difference between that and 9c85 after calibration (don't let the posts on here fool you - relax) and a different superdrive.

There is a big difference. The 9c84 has a truer white point and 80% less yellow casting than the 9c85.

If that bothers you or do not like yellow, go with the 9c84 if you can.

Custom computers, truly should be customizable, maybe apple can use this to their advantage...Maybe they are testing us?

Haha,

S