Which system and display to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mynameismatt89, May 17, 2007.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

Hey,

I will be attending the University of Waterloo for Architecture in September and currently own an iBook G4. I'm interested in purchasing a new mac for certain reasons. I was hoping to get an external display to use for perhaps a mac mini, as well as for my iBook so that i can get a hack like (bootcamp?) so i can run AutoCAD (i feel more comfortable using bootcamp on my ibook rather than my new mac). I also feel most comfortable using AutoCAD for windows because i dont really want to use any mac CAD program unless i can find one almost EXACTLY like AutoCAD, or if AutoCAD comes out with a version for apple.

What is the best products for me to buy... mac mini? what kind of display (hook up to iBook and for mac mini or other type of computer)? any other advice?

Thanks alot,
    Matt

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

For AutoCAD, you really want a dedicated graphics processor. That means a MBP, iMac or Mac Pro. Any one of these would be great for your needs, though given that you want to keep the costs down (as you are looking at a Mini), go for the biggest iMac that you can afford. It will more than suit your needs. After an iBook, this beast will just blow you away. Enjoy!

4. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks guys.

Im just worried about running bootcamp or any other program on a new imac (since it wont work on my iBook) because its possible that it could somehow screw up my computer?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1955613

[​IMG]

You'll be fine. You don't know how hard I hit my iMac in Windows without it blinking.

6. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I run AutoCAD 2006 on my black Macbook (specs below) under parallels w/WinXP. It runs okay, but it is a little on the slow side. It's def usable (I'm an aerospace engineering student).

7. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about bootcamp? will it work better than parallels? Also, is there anyway to allow for it to work faster such as a faster computer (although yours is already pretty fast it seems) or even an desktop (imac), instead of a laptop (macbook)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll be able to use all of your hardware in Boot Camp instead of in via Parallels. Expect it to be 20-30% faster.

9. yagran macrumors 6502a

yar parrallels isnt tht gr8 once youve tried bootcamp, yeh its more convenient, but £0% wotrth of speed is better than convenience

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What?

11. yagran macrumors 6502a

sorry im gettin cut off from macrumors every few minutes atm so am trying to type as quick as possible before it goes down again!

i meant:
    yar parrallels isnt tht gr8 once youve tried bootcamp, yeh its more convenient, but £30% more speed is better than convenience

12. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I haven't personally tried AutoCAD in bootcamp. I gave bootcamp a try, but removed it after a couple of weeks and decided to go with Parallels. Sure, it's a little slower than bootcamp, but I hated wasting time restarting. I usually just need to do quick things in windows, so a restart isn't warranted. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. In bootcamp, AutoCAD will run as fast on any mac as it will on a comparable speced PC running XP or Vista. I'm sure you'll see a speed boost in a desktop over a laptop. If nothing else, it will have a faster HD. However, I would guess that a mac laptop would be fine for AutoCAD if you use bootcamp.

13. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

That all depends on the user and the task at hand. Besides, where are you getting this 30% number?

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's nice that you don't have to reboot but you'll get more graphical performance.

15. yagran macrumors 6502a

Eidorian :p

16. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

LOL....ok. I'm not doubting, I just haven't seen any numbers from tests.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Its not going to break your computer. Worst that can happen is that you have to format the drive and reinstall the OS.