Which system for a downgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by janvier25, Feb 2, 2015.

1. janvier25 macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 MBP running 10.6.8. I'm very happy with the OS stability and appearance, except for the cracked glass. I have no other Apple devices.

Tomorrow I'm getting a newly refurbed mid-2012 rMBP. I assume it will come with Yosemite pre-loaded and have a Genius appointment Wednesday to downgrade and transfer my settings. My question is, to which system? To Mavericks, Snow Leopard, something else? Is there a particular system I should have to take full advantage of the Retina display?

What else should I ask for (like a restore partition)?

256GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

----------

I have an early 2011 MBP running 10.6.8. I'm very happy with the OS stability and appearance, except for the cracked glass. :(

Tomorrow I'm getting a newly refurbed mid-2012 rMBP. I assume it will come with Yosemite pre-loaded and have a Genius appointment Wednesday to downgrade and transfer my settings. My question is, to which system? To Mavericks, Snow Leopard, something else? Is there a particular system I should have to take full advantage of the Retina display?

What else should I ask for (like a restore partition)?

256GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Mind sending over your early-2011 cMBP...? :D

4. janvier25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the new one will be doing service as an external monitor for awhile. Besides the crack, it also needs a new left fan. It cracked while in a neoprene case inside a leather backpack. They're still going for a few hundred though, and this was an unplanned purchase.

5. janvier25, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

janvier25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The computer arrived, but I'm waiting to open it at my appointment tomorrow. Meanwhile, is there a scan available to see whether the apps and extensions on my current computer will work with Mountain Lion? My search turned up old software.

ETA: You were right, it came with Mountain Lion.

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Have you tried roaringapps.com...?

7. GeoFan49 macrumors member

GeoFan49

Silicon Valley, SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Just tried RoaringApps.com and it seems to have some good info but is not really current and up-to-date.

Looking for something that I can run on SL and will tell me what apps that I have INSTALLED on SL and will NOT work on Yosemite, in realtime, by looking at my installed apps and comparing with some database of knone compatibilities and incompatibilities.

Any suggestions?

8. janvier25 thread starter macrumors newbie

What GeoFan49 said.