Which system for eMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DanK104, May 22, 2012.

1. DanK104 macrumors member

I have two old G4 eMacs, one is 1 GHz, the other is 1.25 GHz. They have been sitting in a closet for a while and I now want to give them away. Before I do, I want to reinstall the system software.

My question is which system would be best to install? They now have 10.5.8 (Leopard) on them. Should I reinstall that, or would an older system be better? I know that an older system can be faster. I do have most systems available on disk. Would there be an advantage to backtrack to Tiger?

Any suggestions?

Also, how about iLife? What would be the best version that will work on a PowerPC?

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My 1.25Ghz came to me with Tiger on it. I put Leopard on it instead. Seems faster with Leopard. If you can, put at least 1Gb in both machines to make Leopard run better.

3. mike457 macrumors 6502

iLife '09 is the latest that supports Power PCs, but you will need iMovie HD; the newer iMovie requires intel processors.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

If you are giving these to people who are going to try and use them as everyday computers, the Leopard is the only way to go. Tiger may feel a little faster, but software options and security updates for Tiger are just too old right now IMO.

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

6. Lwllis macrumors newbie

I agree leopard .
    I'm in the process of reinstalling leopard on mine right now .
    Posted from iPhone

7. DanK104 thread starter macrumors member

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

...Well, seems I'm a bit late to the party. :p Nonetheless, I must go against the majority and suggest Tiger. I don't have any real statistics or anything, but when I bought my eMac, it came with Leopard on it. It was slower than I was used to compared to my 1.3 GHz iBook G4 running Tiger at the time, but I attributed that to the 512 MB of RAM it had. Well, I bumped it to 1.5 GB... it was faster, but still slower than my iBook. I wiped Leopard and installed Tiger.. the difference was incredible. If you don't mind having old versions of software, Tiger is much faster and more stable than Leopard in my humble opinion. However, I do understand that a lot of people may need/want the latest application versions possible, so Leopard may indeed be the most viable choice. However, speed only considered - Tiger for sure. :)

9. DanK104 thread starter macrumors member