Which t-mobile data plan + tethering question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsawler, Aug 23, 2009.

1. dsawler macrumors newbie

I'm moving to an almost deserted island for 9 months with no internet service. T-Mobile cell phone reception is "best". I wanted to buy an original iphone and tether it to my macbook.

1. Which t-mobile data plan should I add on?
    2. Is "unlimited" really unlimited? Upon tethering, I don't wanna end up getting a huge bill at the end of the month for excessive use. Will they end up capping my bandwith with the tethering?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I have the basic t-zones internet. If you have t-mobile convinced that you brought your own phone, and it's just a razr or whatever, a "dumb"-phone, then this is the internet plan they'll give you, for $5.99. Then use the automatic setup here on your iphone. This will also enable mms and tethering (tethering only on 3gs), so you can send an mms photo of your low t-mobile bill to your at&t friends.

3. dsawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm somewhat confused. Are you saying tethering only works with a 3g? Or, will I be able to tether with an original iphone?

I've been a t-mobile customer for about 8 years, it would be nice to get away with the 5.99 plan!

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I have a 2G and you can't do tethering on it. I think it's only available on the 3g and 3gs. Might even be only on the 3gs, I don't know.

Yeah, my bill is $56/month, with roughly the same stuff as a $95 iphone plan, + mms.