Which tablet should I buy? iPad 2 or Blackberry Playbook?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AbyssImpact, Nov 23, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I am having a hard time deciding. The iPad 2 will be on sale for just over $400 this week but the Blackberry Playbook will be half that price at $200. Which should I get? I am going to use it mainly for browsing the web and email.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Ipad2

Is a far far superior device, but if you truly just want to surf and email, then I guess the savings would be worthwhile.

What I would do, is try them both side by side before you decide. I would go for the iPad but I'm an Apple devotee.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I would never buy something from a company that is on the verge of going under and will never support the device again, unless it was an insanely good deal. The way RIM is bleeding out, I just don't see them supporting tablets for much longer. Of course, if the Playbook can be rooted to allow sideloading of Android apps and can access the Android Marketplace, then that makes the Playbook more interesting.

Out of curiousity, have you also looked at the Kindle Fire or Nook? For what you want to do, these should be considered.

4. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Try an HP TouchPad…….copped one today for $170 brand new……didn't open it yet though….been playing on my ipad 2:eek:

5. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

6. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

If he roots the playbook to run android, would there really be a software difference? It wouldnt make sense to even look at the fire or nook.... you get 16 GB and 2x cameras on the playbook, 8gb and no cameras on the fire, 16 gb but 50 more for the nook...
    Yes theres the slim chance RIM goes under and the playbook breaks and cant get it fixed, but thats not likely.

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yeah, that's what I would be concerned most about. Having RIM go under.

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

No Blackberry, no Touchpad. Both are fading away, just see how quickly these have dropped in price.
    There are tons of Android Tablets to choose from, one for every budget, and as the rest, all these come and go, so don't go crazy buying accessories as these may not work on the next version.

But if you want to be safe, get an iPad 2, and if you plan to carry it around a lot, get the 3G version. Is better to have it even if you don't need it now, than needing it but not having it. It doesn't require you to sign a contract, just go month to month.

10. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I had to buy two Playbooks for work. If you're in a wifi zone they surf the web fine but there's not a lot more that you can do with them. There are very few apps or games. Music, books and video are things you may not know that you will enjoy with a tablet until after you own one. Do yourself a favor and avoid RIM at all costs. Remember, the cheap man pays twice.

11. OSMac macrumors 65816

10" ipad 2 $460 vs 7" Playbook $199

For argument lets say the browsers are similar, but screen size is very different, personal choice, I prefer a larger screen.

Email on the Playbook right now is via web apps only, that will change early next year. Most of us have email on our phones now anyhow so not really a big deal, since we know its coming in a few months to the Playbook.

If you want to spend $500 on a tablet, I'd recommend waiting for the iPad 3 and get by with your laptop till then. If low price is key, and you dont mind a smaller 7" screen, grab a Playbook as its really a great value at $199 for mostly web use.

12. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

100% truly, honest to guv, unbiased, open views...

yep, try macrumours.com for an opinion on weather you should buy an Apple product.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, have a fiddle with both and come to conclusion for yourself.

13. Nathan21585 macrumors member

I just returned a playbook cause there wasn't enough to do with it. Get the iPad.

14. anfield11 macrumors 6502

RIM's earnings last year had a profit of $2.9 billion. They have issues, but your playbook would be obsolete well before they were. That said, buy an iPad...it's about the WHOLE Mac experience.

15. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

There really is no debate.

The PlayBook is dead. Plus, it's just a lousy product to begin with. Probably why it's dead.

16. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

You really can't expect us to say much other than "iPad". :D

17. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

rim is dead

playbook is dead

if you have to get it, do not pay more than $49

its junk

18. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Buy the iPad2, I had the Playbook from day 1 but in the end I could not deal with out native email and other stuff they had promised with in 6 months of its release. I did love the software but I think the launch of the Playbook was a complete fail and could not be lied to anymore by Rim so I sold it.

19. m1n1s macrumors newbie

i have a ipad2 and the playbook.

my work means i have to travel a lot so the 7" size is better for me plus i have a company blackberry phone, playbook prices are great value at the moment plus its so easy to get the os2.0 firmware and side load android apps and games, i'd say get the playbook.........its interesting times.

but the ipad2 is still the better device :D

20. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

OP, I would only consider the Playbook if:

- you are currently a BB phone user and have a data plan than can support (>1 GB) tethering;
    - you are not a Mac computer using (specifically iCal, Contacts, iCloud/mobileme)
    - you would benefit from be able to display flash-based content on the web browser.

21. Richard8655, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Playbook. I don't care that this is an iPad forum. It makes the best financial sense for under $200, especially if web browsing and email is the objective. Not everyone needs or uses iPad apps.

Why keep pumping up Apple with their overpriced products and arrogant attiude of market control? Don't be robotic in always buying Apple. Let in some fresh air with the competition.

The Playbook is actually very good and has great reviews. Smalller screen size, yes, but maybe that's preferred by many and may not make that much of a difference. It's certainly easier to carry and more portable. Definitely beats the Fire and Nook at that price point. With 1 Ghz processor and 1 GB RAM, it even beats out iPad 2 specs.

Final point, you don't need a BB phone to get the benefits of the Playbook (I disagree with above post). It stands alone quite well by itself and there's no need to bridge/tether to it. The email app for Playbook is coming in February. You can be a Mac user and still enjoy the Playbook, unless synching to iTunes is a requirement. But you can download the free Playbook Desktop Manager for Mac and synch all your photos, videos, music (even from iTunes), calendar, and address book.

22. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Do you guys realize the playbook doesn't even have a native email app?

:eek:

23. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

There is no competition whatsoever, the iPad wins hands down. The playbook is horrible, they've over engineered it, there's too many gestures and 3 finger movements and the like. It's hard to use, the iPad however, plays games beautifully, runs iOS 5, has a NATIVE email app and it's so much easier and more fun to use...

iPad :apple: