Which Tablet?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TacticalDesire, Feb 16, 2013.

1. TacticalDesire, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

So, I've got an unopened iPad Mini sitting here but I'm wondering if I should return it and wait for the next 7 inch Google tablet or the rumored Note 8. I know something better will always be around the corner but I'm wondering what the smart choice would be. My preference is android but honestly, I really like both platforms. The 512mb of ram and non retina display is what's holding me back from cracking this thing open. I'm in my browsers a lot throughout the day on both my desktop and mobile devices and keep a lot of tabs open so I'm weary about the amount of RAM the mini has.

Thoughts? What would you do? I'm not looking for an OS war and would like this to be as unbiased and objective as possible.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You'll enjoy your Mini more. The RAM is perfectly capable. The Nexus 7 is good, but you'll really won't enjoy it as much.

3. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

That's the thing though. I'm just not sure. I love my Nexus 4 and am very happy with it and I'm happy with android. But I am also happy with iOS and having been using it for the last 4 years.

4. AppleMaster9 macrumors regular

I went from a jailbroken ipad to a nexus 7. I enjoy my nexus much much much more.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Browsing was terrible on the mini, I don't know why I expected any different as I have an iPad 2 and browsing is horrible on that. I use a windows atom tablet and browsing is pretty awesome, easily the best out of any tablet I've used and NO compromises, as many tabs as I want, flash, no mobile site crap, etc etc. I know you are looking for a 7-8" tablet though.

6. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Hey spine are you talking about the surface pro you have or some other windows rt tablet? I wouldn't mind a win rt tablet if someone with a good experience with one can chime in.

Sorry also to OP for high jack :p

I am also thinking ipad mini vs nexus 4 vs nexus 10 vs a win rt tablet (I like that the rt ones have full ports and almost work like a proper tablet OS than a smartphone one that the mini uses.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I had the surface pro but found it to be too compromising as a tablet. Surface RT is worse, IMO its garbage. I have an Atom cpu windows tablet, pretty incredible. Same battery life, size, thinness, etc as an iPad some of them are cheaper. I have a USB 2.0 port and a mini HDMI port.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you're in no rush, I'd wait for the next Nexus, Note, or iPad mini with retina display. The current mini doesn't seem worth it in my opinion.

9. siiip5 macrumors 6502

The choice between hardware is irrelevant. You have both a new mini and new Nex7, plus Note 8 coming right around the corner. Unless you plan to use your mini and sell it when the new stuff comes out, you will be kicking yourself for staying with that old tech. Regret is a wicked mistress.