Tablets Which Tablet?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Cnasty, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

So I have an offer to get a free LG G Pad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

Don't know much about either but any recommendations or info will be great.

Thanks!

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

LG G Pad is horrible in every way possible. The Galaxy Tab 4 is the best option to choose from.

3. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Do you know if it can be updated to lollipop?

Horrible Huh? Was watching reviews on both.

4. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Neither tablet has access to Android Lolipop as of now. However flashing a custom ROM with stock lollipop is possible

5. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Between those two, Gpad. That is if it's the 8.3" gpad.

I had a Tab 4 10.1 (before I finally got my beloved Nexus 7 2013 back) and it is a dog. It's slow, and on Touchwiz. It has a quad core 1.2ghz cpu with a not so good screen resolution. It's not horrible but it's not good either. Returned it.

Quick question, are these the 7" variants of the Gpad and Tab 4 or the 8" models? Because the Gpad 8.3 is way better than the Gpad 7", performance wise, screen wise, everything.

I think if you're being offered free 7" tablets, the tab 4 7" and gpad 7" both have same pixel density and clock speeds. And if it is indeed the 7" models, you may be better off getting the Samsung. I could be wrong but I think the Samsung probably has better development and probably more software roms and kernels you could flash to make the device less bloated and overall smoother.

6. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Both seem like pretty terrible tablets. Maybe I can just get it and sell it lol

7. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

8. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Because the offer is only for these 2 tablets. It's from ATT and was a free add on once I installed their UVerse service. I Just need to pick one and was leaning toward the g pad after reviews but above comment scared me

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Be careful with that, as you may need to sign up for a 2 year contract with service. I was also offered a tablet from verizon after getting FiOS, but I would have needed to sign up for a data plan for the tablet for 2 years so I declined it.

10. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

This was for their cable service and not a phone and I was sure to ask it didn't tie me to any contract. I only have to keep the service for 30 days which I've already past and planned to keep it for a year at least as I am enjoying.

Good looking out though as I asked the same thing.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Galaxy tabs out of the box are pretty blah (except for the Note series) but once they're rooted and the Samsung bloatware frozen/deleted they're terrific in my opinion. I have a Gtab Pro 8.4 and it's an amazing device.

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Yeah I think both Samsung tab and LG tab will be dogs out of the box, and I do think that Samsung probably has more software to get rid of that bloat and definitely some Lollipop based ROMs you could flash. If youre into that.

The Tab Pro 8.4 is an excellent tablet. I had a Nexus 7 2013 and got rid of it for something in the 8" territory. Got the Tab Pro 8.4 and loved it however I never got as far as flashing a custom rom, that probably would have really unleashed that beast. Gave the tab pro to my sister for Xmas and bought another N7 2013. After the Tab Pro I went through a few other tablets that I had returned before ultimately getting my Nexus back.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

OK, that's good. I don't know too much about those tablets, but if its these two:

http://youtu.be/D3VH1lKzMCQ

http://youtu.be/VItBP7Qfct8

Then I would lean towards the lg unless you want multi window.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wise man say

"Just because a turd is free, does not make it less stinky".

Both of those tablets are only 'alright', if you have used anything remotely better before - the user experience may rile. But yeah taking eaches foibels into consideration and it would still end up pretty even as to which is better between them. Much of a muchness. Jist choose the one you find better looking to you.

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

The tab are always dependable options imo

Doesn't LG support multiwindow?

16. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

17. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I have the same with the Samsung install and I think its pretty terrific. I guess if I rooted it and did all the good stuff I would be totally blown away.

18. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Went with the G Pad as I will primarily use it for my son and casual internet browsing on the couch.

Free is free. :)

Thanks everyone

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Performance out of the box is really quite good on the Pro 8.4. (being able to freeze/remove the Samsung bloatware makes excellent performance even better)

The greatest benefit to rooting it IMO is being able to allow multi-window with ANY app, not just the ones that specifically support it.

20. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Neither. Sell it and trade up to the new Galaxy Tab S 2. If you're stuck choosing the screen on the LG is worse IMHO.