Which TBT GPS would you get

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotOwning, Aug 6, 2009.

?

Which TBT application would you get?

1. Navigon

25 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Sygic

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. iGo

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Wait for TomTom

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Other (Post which one, and why)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. NotOwning macrumors member

If you had the money to get any of the GPS systems, which one would you get? You can only get one, or you have the option to wait for TomTom to come out.

If possible add a post with why you voted for the application you voted for.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

still waiting for tom tom and what exactly their pricing is going to be. if its what has been rumored ($200) they can get bent and ill go with something else

3. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Navigon. It's here, it works without the extra cradle, free update is coming, good maps, feature set, and more.

If TomTom (or someone else) comes out with a very compelling software advantage, then it's all fair game to purchase another....

4. NotOwning thread starter macrumors member

What will you get if tomtom is too pricey?

5. Requiemm macrumors regular

Add me to the list of people waiting to see what TomTom looks like and costs. Once it is out I'll either go with it or Navigon

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Was considering waiting for more info on the TomTom release, but liked what I saw in the Navigon package so I picked it up. Couldn't be happier (especially with the already-announced updates coming).

7. markl9 macrumors newbie

markl9

8. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

9. Marky macrumors regular

Actually this does look superb - I'll wait for a few more reviews but with that feature set, for just £25.99 and if the linked review is anywhere near accurate then it's a done deal for me! I was waiting for Tom Tom but this Co Pilot could well be the one......

10. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

Even though I will be buying the TomTom app, I voted "Other" - I have all the GPS apps (except IGO) on my iphone and I will tinker around and experiment with each one, depending on the day but for primary use, I use AT&T Navigator (Telenav). The monthly fee doesn't bother me...in my opinion and my opinion only, it's still the most complete overall GPS package until TomTom comes. But I also think apps like Telenav and Gokivo might be aimed at a different GPS user audience than the one-time payment/non-monthly fee users -- as someone said yesterday, it's aimed at "people with money to burn." I didn't know I fell into that category, but oh well...;)

Seriously though: *all* the GPS apps have their pluses and minuses (TomTom will be no different) and you could make an argument that any one of them "is the best," etc (IMHO, Sygic, G-Map, and Navigon are all pretty close to each other in terms of quality - ie: they all do the job just fine)....but honestly, the average person could get by with any of them; they all can do the job -- without a car kit, too. I know some will disagree with me, but I've found the iphone's GPS to be more than adequate for my navigation needs. The only GPS signal problems I can even recall are with Navigon trying lock onto an initial signal (here in Chicago, IL) -- and when it does, it works fine.

I gotta say though...I cannot believe Co-Pilot slipped under my radar like that...I am VERY impressed with what I've seen. IGO (which I have yet to try) looks...okay, but Co-Pilot looks awesome. It reminds me of G-Map on steroids. But as mentioned earlier, it's not available for the US (not yet anyway). :-(

11. NotOwning thread starter macrumors member

If you had to pick one of the currently available ones which one would you pick?

12. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

Well...

AT&T Navigator by Telenav (ATTN) is to me, the best overall GPS package available, at least until TomTom launches. So my answer would be ATTN.

FYI: Here's a link to a review I did of Navigon (which also links to the reviews I did of all the other GPS apps) -- again, these are all just my views/opinions only:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=752304

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Navigon has been terrific for me, after some initial troubles. I've used it enough now that I have decided to eBay my Garmin StreetPilot. It's that good.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Navigon - solid piece work. Very stable, accurate, and reliable for me.

Most people with problems have issues with GPS reception (which would affect all products universally). If you read most to their posts the 1) don't realize GPS receivers work better with a line of sight to the sky, 2) haven't figured out putting an iPhone in their pocket doesn't offer a line of sight to the sky, 3) realized OtterBox Defenders evidently protect from satellite connectivity in addition to most natural disasters.

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Navigon

16. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

After removing my OtterBox, Navigon simply rocks! Super easy to use.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

:D

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I've tried AT&T, Navigon G-Map, Sygic and now, iGO.

I think I like IGO the best.

Navigon would be perfect if it had street names I could actually read in day mode. I had to switch it to night mode to read them. Day mode also has the ugly olive green map background on some areas of the map and you can forget about reading street names under that color. It's accurate and only lost satellite reception for a few seconds here and there. Nice accurate warnings for going over the speed limits.

G-Map is nice and colorful with easy to read street names. It's accurate but it has issues with speed limits. It fluctuates too much. It will drop from say 35MPH, down to 33, up to 37 and I haven't slowed down. Has some nice different color choices that you can change for day and night modes.

Sygic could be okay but it has too much lag. There were times when it would show me as much as two blocks behind where I really was. Map would also move while I was sitting still at a light like it lost track of me.

IGO is very nice. Easy to read street names in little conversation bubbles. I found I like it better in portrait mode just because it gives the streets more space and it seems to show more street names that way. Entering address was very easy considering the keyboard buttons are in alphabetical order instead of QWERTY layout. No problems there and it's very easy to use. I've removed Sygic and I may do the same with G-Maps and just use Navigon and IGO the most though I think IGO gets my vote over Navigon. IGO also has nice indicators at the bottom for Speed Limit (I couldn't get it to show speed limits for me), current speed and current time. You can tap on one of these and then only that box will be displayed. Tap on it again and all three come back on screen. Night mode is basically black and gray and it's easy to read just as day mode. Nice GPS, loud easy to understand voices with a few differant voices to choose from. Same with your vehicle shown on screen. I like it!

19. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

This is an interesting observation. What GMap appears to be doing in software is possibly mask the GPS signal lock/fade issues, otherwise you wouldn't see this fluctuation in speed.

This can be controlled through software 'tolerances' and how tight the parameters are chosen to track the GPS signal being reported to the software. If their software also predicts future positioning and speed based on current location, then this would control a lot of information displayed and announced (although they can't really mask the reported speed, it just flips around with a variance).

If you are happy with GMap's operation, it would seem they've reached a good balance of how to deal with the iPhone's GPS 'shortcomings' that some of the sites have gone on to say that the iPhone's GPS isn't capable of realizing the detail needed for TBT navigation.

20. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

CoPilot Live, simply because it offers so much at such a fantastic price point.

21. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

You'd be right except the poster was referring to G-Map and not iGo. There are three apps mentioned in that review.

22. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

So sorry for getting that wrong! But, it doesn't matter to correct it, as it's been quoted.

23. Tiffy macrumors member

Navigon

I voted for Navigon not by comparison to the other ones (I have only Navigon), but because it was the 1st available in Europe and it does what I want (drive me from point A to point B with clear indications while I listen to my music). I don't care about POIs (Iphone has lots of apps for that), nice trees, speed cameras and other gadgets. Its only problem is that it requires a reboot of the IPhone (at least on 3G) if you want to be sure to have no problem of freezes/loose of GPS signal during the trip.

I would like traffic info, but surely it will come in a future update.

So, I can't say that Navigon is the best, but I have no reason to pay for another application.