Which technology monitor to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by definitive, Oct 4, 2014.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'm shopping around for a monitor in the 24" or 27" range, and would like some advice on what type of screen to get. It will be used for stuff like Adobe Suite, Lightroom, watching videos, and some light gaming.

I was originally thinking of going with an IPS, but then found out about AH-IPS, which seems like an improved version of IPS. Then I also came across PLS monitors, which caught my attention... Anyone have any experience with all three, and could provide any input on which of these technologies would be the best choice for me?

2. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

That's not 24 or 27".. I am looking for something in $500 or less price range.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

As you have mentioned some graphics and photo type apps, you should consider checking out info on monitors that serve those apps well in terms of doing pseudo calibration and true calibration. Monitors such as Eizo and NEC's PA series are the latter and more typical is the pseudo calibration found with making "profiles."

The Eizo and NEC offerings are not within your budget but perhaps the Dell Ultrasharp series or similar would be. This along with a colour calibrator tool would be a good fit. As for gaming, look for the rise-fall time (referenced in milliseconds) and note that the smaller the number the better. There are other makes and models that too would serve well enough but the Dell seems to be a consistent favourite. Also consider the investment in the calibrator as part of what should fit within your budget and those too come in many forms and cost levels.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You should have said something when you first posted. Then look at Dell S2740L.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

He did. :cool: