Which tethering app is safe to use to tether to iPad (jailbroken)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bobright, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So on my iphone used to use mywi then heard they can track that down so have tried PDANet.

What are people using nowadays, which app leaves you undetected by AT&T and is safe? Of course if you aren't abusing it.

2. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Apparently none of them. I want to abuse the **** out of my unlimited LTE and use it as my home Internet, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im on Verizon and have never had a problem using MyWi up to 14gb, I tried tetherme and it sucked. Had to constantly reset it and restart the phone. I have doubts that they are honestly finding out you are using a tethering app...my guess is they just send that to high data users because as we all know, it would be pretty hard to use 14gb on the phone itself. But like I have said before, until Verizon decides to run highspeed to me, I will continue.

4. BlueRaider macrumors regular

You aren't going to be tethering a 4G LTE iPad wirelessly on an unlimited data plan until a public jailbreak is released. When that happens I would try tetherme first. I'm not sure if it works with the first 2 generations of iPads but it likely will with the new 4G LTE iPad.

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

No I'll be going from a 4S tethered to the new iPad. I have read some good things about this program and also PDANet.

Any other recommendations for one or the other?

6. batotman macrumors 6502

I use TetherMe on my 4S. And Bluetooth is supposed to use a bit less power than wifi tethering.

7. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Another +1 for tetherme sweet looks like I'm going with that...

Does tetherme have the data security type deal that PDANet had in which it blocked something so you weren't detected from your provider?

8. BlueRaider macrumors regular

Tetherme changes the APN settings so that all data appears to come from the phone itself. When you have the hotspot feature unlocked by AT&T via a plan with tethering the APN settings change when you tether so AT&T can see how much data is used by the phone and how much via tethering. This is the same method PDAnet uses I assume as there is really no other way to hide tethering. I've used tetherme since it was released on my unlimited data plan and I've never had a problem. It works far better than MyWi.

9. batotman macrumors 6502

As far as I've read, TetherMe is the least likely one to get caught. I wouldn't go nuts downloading torrents but for general web surfing it should be fine. I tethered for 2-3 weeks when the Joplin tornado took out our Internet service with no issues. But I was fairly conservative and didn't watch Hulu or anything.

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ive had tetherme and it never worked right...only mywi will

11. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the responses, yea I'll only be using it sparingly when I am out and about w/ my iPad which is very rare as its usually kept home. It will be only for the occasional long road trip.

I'm also on the unlimited plan with ATT and have used MyWi before and never received a notice, hopefully that remains. :)

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

There are no 'safe' ways to tether. Here is what happened to me.
    I am not from the US but I don't think there is much difference regarding detection of tethering.

The carrier I had offers tethering plan. My iPhone do not need tetherme in order to bring up the native tethering option. I tethered for 500mb a month and was charged. The monthly invoice I received stated how many mb of tethering and iPhone used. So tetherme won't hide your tethering.

For anyone to think that carriers have no way of detecting tethering is ignorant. It is likely to say that they don't check rather than not detecting.

13. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

I've recently used PDAnet to tether to my new iPad while away from a wifi signal. It was very brief use to play Draw Something and then read a few things on Flipboard for about 5 minutes. After about 3-4 uses of less than 10 minutes, no notification yet. This was with the hide tether option set to 2.

14. datumax, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

datumax macrumors newbie

datumax

+1 for TetherMe

I was lucky enough to score iTether while it was on the App Store. Works with my LTE iPad for AT&T but speeds aren't that great as 4G reception is weak at home (surprise). Obviously, when a 5.1 jailbreak comes out for the New iPad, I'll employ 3G Unrestrictor and that should uncap my tethering speeds. OBVIOUSLY ;0

I'll test it with full bars and update.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

TetherMe and iTether are different...

16. batotman macrumors 6502

And there is the HTML5 subscription version of iTether that doesn't require jailbreak. No idea how well it works.

17. datumax macrumors newbie

datumax

Thanks!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Just so that you know--I've paid for, and use both actively on my 4S depending on jailbreak status. Not sure how you missed that.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You didnt say you paid for and use both. Your title said +1 or something for TetherMe and your body spoke about iTether.

19. datumax macrumors newbie

datumax

Thanks again.

Yes, I was speaking about two different utilities. Perhaps I should have posted two different replies to make it more clear? is that what you mean?

How about instead of responding with a correction to my post, presupposing that I made a mistake in my comments, you give me the benefit of the doubt that I might have actually meant what I said even if the way that I said it was unclear to you? You could have just as easily asked for clarification rather than offering a needless and seemingly snide FTFY remark.

I think that your initial response here was just another example of a pedantic MacRumors user ruining the fun and spirit of the conversation. Examples like this are why people cite MacRumors as being hostile and not helpful.

IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE THAT WAY. You have the power to change this.

20. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

Tetherme is what i use to tether the ipad to my 4s. Works great too. :cool:

21. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

I tend to stick with MyWi simply because I paid for it, lol. Last weekend I did have to use TetherMe for an instance because my wife's Kindle would not connect to the iPhone's MyWi hotspot. With TetherMe, though, it worked fine.

22. Romeosc macrumors newbie

I agree.... I got 4G iPad for the Gps and to use international with localized sim

But tether on iPhone 4s with tetherme.... I also on mywi but don't want to loose unlimited data yet!